Downloads awfully slow

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Downloads awfully slow

Post by chrisb »

Since yesterday evening (some 15 hours ago) I have problems to download a current version (MacOS 0.19). Instead of a couple of minutes ETA is 8 hours. Has anyone else experienced this?

My local internet access is ok and provides the expected performance.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Re: Downloads awfully slow

Post by wmayer »

I recently downloaded one of the libpacks and it took around 40 min or more to get it. So, I guess the limitation is done by GH -- if on purpose or by mistake I don't know.
reox

Post by reox »

There was some discussion in the german subforum a while ago: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... te#p265001 . It looks like that, depending on the route to the github (or AWS) servers, the download speed is very very slow.
From what I saw the problem is probably the carrier or AWS (or the uplink to the carrier at AWS)
try some traceroute to github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com and see which carrier you have.

Right now, I have this traceroute:

Code: Select all

10   109 ms   109 ms   109 ms  amazon.ashburn2.ash.seabone.net [195.22.206.29]
and habe only 1.9MB/s but my connection is muuuuch faster. (also the ping drops from <4ms to >100ms at this hop)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the answers. Currently a traceroute doesn't reach github.com at all :evil: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
reox

Post by reox »

Thats odd... I checked again at home and it looks like I can download with 8MB/s (which is the maximum for my line as well).
I again go via Telia and my ISP is A1.
Another Host which is connected via Liwest goes over cogentco and reaches 21MB/s (speedtest says that this line has 150MBit)
And my server which has Gigabit connection is only able to download with ~1MB/s - which is a little bit embarrassing for AWS :? There the peering is core-backbone (fun fact: depending on the remote server for speedtest.net, the measured speed is between 150 and 900Mbit - I guess the server is too fast for the test servers :D)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

After several fails I just started a download again, current speed ~20KB/sec (not MB!), ETA 5 hours from now.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

GH isn't showing any 'incidents' via
https://twitter.com/githubstatus
https://www.githubstatus.com/
Last one was on April 11th which was resolved was for "reports of degraded performance on web
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I just downloaded a binary from GH at the maximum speed my Internet connection allows me (around 22 Mbit/s or 2.8 MB/s). I sometimes miss my 50 MBit/s FTTH, but not the thieving big ISP that provided it.

Chris, I could upload the macOS build somewhere else (Dropbox, Google Drive), if your download has failed?
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi,
chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:12 am Since yesterday evening (some 15 hours ago) I have problems to download a current version (MacOS 0.19). Instead of a couple of minutes ETA is 8 hours. Has anyone else experienced this?

My local internet access is ok and provides the expected performance.
i have this prob since a few month (it's posted somewhere to), but it depends also at the time where i try to download. At morningtime it's faster as at eavening (german time).
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 am Chris, I could upload the macOS build somewhere else (Dropbox, Google Drive), if your download has failed?
That would be very kind, as my last try failed again after downloading 4.1 MB which is approximately 1%.

Credibility is not high when asking users to test with the most recent version when using an outdated myself.