Chromebook installation

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Chromebook installation

Post by Jee-Bee »

kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

It should be possible to run a current (i.e. Python 3, Qt 5) build of FreeCAD on arm64 processors but I think older armel/armhf has a bug with Quarter, one of our bundled dependencies.

If you have some patience I'd be glad to help you get things running but I'm afraid you'd be one of our early guinea pigs so it might take some back and forth :D It is definitely a goal of mine to add arm64 support for our PPAs.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
thejollinator

Post by thejollinator »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 pm If you have some patience I'd be glad to help you get things running but I'm afraid you'd be one of our early guinea pigs so it might take some back and forth :D It is definitely a goal of mine to add arm64 support for our PPAs.
I would be happy to be a guinea pig. I'm doing most of the heavy lifting for my project on my main laptop, so I can be as patient as it takes. Mostly going to work on it Monday-Friday.
thejollinator

Post by thejollinator »

So when I add the PPA, using sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable, I get the following error:

gpg: keybox '/tmp/tmpm6s_qw60/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /tmp/tmpm6s_qw60/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 005EAE8119BB5BCA: public key "Launchpad PPA for FreeCAD maintainers" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found

I have tried a lot of gpg troubleshooting (editing freecad-maintainers-ubuntu-freecad-stable-eoan.list for different ubuntu releases, updating apt and gpg, installing gnupg and spftware-properties-common) but still cant seem o get it to be happy. Any thoughts?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Do you have the ubuntu-keyring package? You can check with dpkg -l | grep ubuntu-keyring.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
thejollinator

Post by thejollinator »

No, it does not seems to be there.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Go ahead and install that and you should be able to run sudo add-apt-repository.
thejollinator

Post by thejollinator »

Installed, but still having issues. Here is my terminal output:

Code: Select all

@penguin:~$ dpkg -l | grep ubuntu-keyring
ii  ubuntu-keyring                        2018.09.18.1-5                    all          GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive

@penguin:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable
 This PPA repository hosts stable releases of FreeCAD for all supported versions of Ubuntu in 32 and 64-Bit architecture. These packages are more up to date than those found on the Ubuntu repositories.

Note: the freecad-doc package brings offline FreeCAD help support, and needs to be installed separately..  

Note: the ccx package brings CalculiX support to the FEM workbench, and needs to be installed separately.
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/freecad-stable
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keybox '/tmp/tmp73wkzpmd/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /tmp/tmp73wkzpmd/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 005EAE8119BB5BCA: public key "Launchpad PPA for FreeCAD maintainers" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

I tried to update apt-get, but I get a slew of erors including but not limited to:

Err:18 http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily/ubuntu eoan/main arm64 Packages                        
  404  Not Found
Err:21 http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable/ubuntu eoan/main arm64 Packages                       
  404  Not Found
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable/ubuntu cosmic InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 005EAE8119BB5BCA
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily/ubuntu/dists/eoan/main/binary-arm64/Packages  404  Not Found
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable/ubuntu/dists/eoan/main/binary-arm64/Packages  404  Not Found
Last edited by thejollinator on Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Please use code tags when pasting console output.
thejollinator wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Err:18 http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily/ubuntu eoan/main arm64 Packages
404 Not Found
It is pretty self-explanatory, you are trying to fetch a non-existent "eoan" repository. Dingo Disco was just released last week, Eoan is 6 months away from release.

You're mixing cosmic links in there as well...
thejollinator

Post by thejollinator »

NormandC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:03 pm Please use code tags when pasting console output.
Thanks for the advice. New to the boards.
It is pretty self-explanatory, you are trying to fetch a non-existent "eoan" repository. Dingo Disco was just released last week, Eoan is 6 months away from release.

You're mixing cosmic links in there as well...
I am also a relatively new Linux/Command Line user. Do I need to wait for the Eoan release, or can I somehow modify the command to fetch the Dingo repository and run that version? I believe that was what I was attempting earlier and ended up getting those cosmic links, so clearly I am running into some novice issues.

Also, my understanding is that Linux(Beta) on ChromeOS is basically a Debian-running virtual machine. /etc/os-release says my OS is Debian Stretch. I know Ubuntu is a build off of Debian, but does that mean the version of FreeCAD made for running in Ubuntu will run on Debian?