Can't activate collada on Mac OS

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Hevii Guy

Can't activate collada on Mac OS

Post by Hevii Guy »

Hello All,

I've recently come over from the Dark Side :mrgreen: . As such, all of my models are in Sketchup format. After I had converted one to .dae format, installed pycolllada as per https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Extra_p ... s#Mac_OS_2 and tried to import the same .dae file, I couldn't! The error showed as: pycollada not found, collada support is disabled.

This is a bit confusing since, along with a few others, the following directories had been created:
  • /Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/site-packages/collada/
  • /Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pycollada-0.6-py3.6.egg-info
Whereas the discrepancy in python version is disconcerting, I'm neither sure if it's an issue or, how to "fix" it.

Has anybody encountered similar problems? More importantly, could somebody please provide some guidance so that this can be resolved? Many thanks in advance!

Here's what I'm running:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.1)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Can't activate collada on Mac OS

Post by sgrogan »

Hevii Guy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:55 pm Whereas the discrepancy in python version is disconcerting, I'm neither sure if it's an issue or, how to "fix" it.
You need to install into the py3 site-packages, I don't know if its 3.6 or 3.7 on osx. collada is pure python so you could move the files to the correct site-packages directory.
"fight the good fight"
Hevii Guy

Post by Hevii Guy »

sgrogan wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 pm You need to install into the py3 site-packages,
Thanks for the input. Seems, therefore, that the Mac OS-specific instructions are no longer valid. I'm going to push my luck now in asking my hand to be held in completing your recommendation :| Would I need to do some sort of sym linking or, will FreeCAD "know" where to look?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hevii Guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 pm Would I need to do some sort of sym linking or, will FreeCAD "know" where to look?
I'm not an OSX user so beware.
I think

Code: Select all

$ pip install --target="/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python3.6/site-packages" pycollada
I'm not sure about 3.6 or 3.7, you can check your "About FreeCAD" to determine which it should be.

FreeCAD is looking in the ....python3.x/site-packages directory.

Maybe chrisb can offer more insight. After we figure this out we should update the wiki for py3.
"fight the good fight"
Hevii Guy

Post by Hevii Guy »

After surprising myself that I was able to find the correct directory, I discovered that collada had been installed not only at:

/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/site-packages/collada

but also at:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/collada

Yet, it s not recognised by FreeCAD as being installed. Hmmm... this has me perplexed.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hevii Guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:04 pm Yet, it s not recognised by FreeCAD as being installed. Hmmm... this has me perplexed.
FreeCAD uses it's own python, so the first one found is FreeCAD's python only py2 instead of py3.
The second is the system installed python that FreeCAD doesn't use, by default at least.
"fight the good fight"
Hevii Guy

Post by Hevii Guy »

Thanks for your additional input!

I just did a:

Code: Select all

pip install --target="/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python3.6/site-packages" pycollada
This resulted in collada being installed as expected within the application directory at:

/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python3.6

I was quite excited about this desirable functionality now functioning but, when I restarted FreeCAD and tried the .dae import, the same error was thrown at me :?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hevii Guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 pm I was quite excited about this desirable functionality now functioning but, when I restarted FreeCAD and tried the .dae import, the same error was thrown at me :?
We need
chrisb wrote:Help
"fight the good fight"
Hevii Guy

Post by Hevii Guy »

sgrogan wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 pm FreeCAD uses it's own python, so the first one found is FreeCAD's python only py2 instead of py3
So, should I then try to find a 2.7 version of collada? How would I instruct the pip command to load an earlier version (assuming that I can find one)?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hevii Guy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm So, should I then try to find a 2.7 version of collada? How would I instruct the pip command to load an earlier version (assuming that I can find one)?
The actual pycollada is not version dependent. It's where it's being installed that is the problem. That's why FreeCAD is not finding it. chrisb is a native osx user so hopefully he will see this. He's on the forum now so hold tight for a few minutes.
"fight the good fight"