Download Not Working

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Forunc

Download Not Working

Post by Forunc »

I'd love to try this app, but the download keeps stalling out. I've tried the Windows 64-bit and 32-bit versions, and even a Linux version, but they all only go for under 100MB, and then crap out.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Download Not Working

Post by chrisb »

Hi Forunc, welcome to the forum.
First of all it would be interesting if you tried to download from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/ ?
I was myself in a smilar situation sometime ago, that github wasn't available for me. A very friendly forum member helped out by downloading it and providing it in his dropbox.

To help you please tell us
- Which OS do you use
- Which version do you want
- Where do you live, perhaps someone nearby can check
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Forunc

Post by Forunc »

Thanks for the reply.
First of all it would be interesting if you tried to download from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/ ?
Yes, tried again just now. Downoad ground to a halt at about 39 MB.

OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Web forums seem very awkward to me--can't tell who's replying to who--cant' even tell which post I'm replying to!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Forunc wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:29 pm Yes, tried again just now. Downoad ground to a halt at about 39 MB.

OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Web forums seem very awkward to me--can't tell who's replying to who--cant' even tell which post I'm replying to!
What country are you in? Maybe it's your IP? I checked GitHub status and everything seems stable on their end. Perhaps you should use TOR to download the file?

Re:forums
It's not the best but it's the way this community connects and discusses issues. Hopefully some upcoming updates in the forum software will make it more friendly.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Forunc

Post by Forunc »

What country are you in?
USA
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Forunc wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:08 am
What country are you in?
USA
Did you try Tor ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Forunc

Post by Forunc »

No. I've never used it and don't know anything about it, other than it's somesort of below-board way of transfering files.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Forunc

Post by Forunc »

Did you try Tor ?
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try to sort out why the dl is not working? Especially since it seems I'm not alone with this problem.

At this rate, it's looking like I could pour a lifetime into this app and never get anything done. With just the time I've spent so far, I could have driven the 60 miles to my old work site and used Unigraphics to do my little project.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

It's not like the files iles are hosted on our server, it's on GitHub. And they have CDNs, probably Amazon AWS. Perhaps they are throttling your IP subnet ? Not sure man. If you're getting impatient, which it sounds like you are... I could upload the file to Dropbox for you. Or you could try to download it another way, like I suggested.

Remember we're all volunteers and enthusiasts here.