Linux Manjaro build problem (Shiboken)

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
unelsson

Linux Manjaro build problem (Shiboken)

Post by unelsson »

I'd like to find a way to compile FreeCad on Linux Manjaro, but I have trouble with dependencies. I'm trying to follow the instructions for Arch Linux at https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/CompileOnUnix . I don't know how FreeCAD should work, so help is appreciated!

When getting dependencies with command "sudo pacman -S boost-libs curl hicolor-icon-theme libspnav opencascade python2-pivy python2-matplotlib python2-pyside python2-shiboken qtwebkit shared-mime-info xerces-c boost cmake coin desktop-file-utils eigen gcc-fortran med python2-pyside-tools", there are many "target not found" error messages, including python2-pivy, python2-pyside,python2-shiboken, qtwebkit, coin, med, python2-pyside-tools. I've been able to install coin, med, python-pivy and python2-pivy from AUR, but many other AUR packages just fail to build with various error messages, so filling the dependencies from AUR is getting painful. I'm not familiar at all with the differences of python-related development packages.

On the other hand, I do have packages called pyside2, pyside2-tools, python-shiboken, python2-shiboken, shiboken2 from Manjaro repositories. When attempting cmake, I get an error message "shiboken not found", as it tries to find files ShibokenConfig.cmake and shiboken-config.cmake, while it seems I only have Shiboken2Config.cmake.

I'd like to do this for the sake of finding clear instructions for building on Manjaro Linux, but also because I'd really need an affordable 3d-cad for Linux for hobby purposes. I've tried compiling FreeCad maybe half a dozen times during several years, with no success, although 0.17 AppImage was fairly okay, I was able to actually make stuff with it. Using 0.18 (AUR or AppImage) I get a crash when loading a file. (edit: I was now able to load a file using AppImage, there was something strange probably related to updating packages, the build problems are still the same though)

If I'll get to actually use custom built FreeCad, maybe I can later help somewhere in the development, though no idea where or how... Mostly interested in making production-ready 2d drawings out of 3d designs, and fixing whatever bugs bother that process. I can code some python, but I've had really bad experiences setting up python development environments (in my experience, compiling anything python related either just fails straight away, or corrupts/destroys all other dependencies) so I'm happy if I can avoid it (or learn not to destroy everything). C++ should be okay, but I'm not an expert.
Cyril

Re: Linux Manjaro build problem (Shiboken)

Post by Cyril »

Don't bother yourself. Get the ready to use recipe : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freecad-git
  1. Clone the AUR repo where you like
  2. Open a terminal in target folder
  3. Code: Select all

makepkg
  4. Install the package by double clicking on it
repeat from step 3 each time you want to update.

update your AUR clone when needed.

Also you try to compile with python 2, with the recipe it will be compiled with python 3 and almost all dependencies are in official package repo, not in AUR. Except med and python-pivy.

Which AUR freecad repo didn't work for you ? There is many.
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Cyril wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 pm Don't bother yourself. Get the ready to use recipe : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freecad-git

makepkg

Good to know. I didn't know this. Maybe worth adding to the wiki?
#documentation
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 pm Good to know. I didn't know this. Maybe worth adding to the wiki?
#documentation
Done
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Cyril wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 pm Good to know. I didn't know this. Maybe worth adding to the wiki?
#documentation
Done
@Cyril awesome. Except i see you've included python2 dependencies:
python2-pivy python2-matplotlib python2-pyside python2-shiboken python2-pyside-tools
We're moving away from those.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm @Cyril awesome. Except i see you've included python2 dependencies:
python2-pivy python2-matplotlib python2-pyside python2-shiboken python2-pyside-tools
We're moving away from those.
I edited only the build using AUR part. I have never build FreeCAD "manually". I thought it wasn't a good idea to remove this part and wasn't really able to update it properly.
Edit : Nevertheless it is not working at the moment so I am not really risking anything. I will update this part too.
Edit 2 : I also moved AUR build to automated build script to respect page structure.
unelsson

Post by unelsson »

Cyril wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 pm Don't bother yourself. Get the ready to use recipe : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freecad-git

makepkg

Thanks a lot. This works! I previously had some errors with freecad-git aur package with some package manager.