The download for Mac users fails to work

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JaxFreeCad

The download for Mac users fails to work

Post by JaxFreeCad »

The download for Mac users only downloads the logo that looks like a link to the app. nothing happens when this logo is clicked or double clicked so there is something amiss for Mac users to use this app.[bug][/bug]
chrisb
Veteran

Re: The download for Mac users fails to work

Post by chrisb »

I recommend to use the current 0.19 version, downloadable from here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:29 pm I recommend to use the current 0.19 version, downloadable from here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre.
Chris, what do you think of the OSX note? https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18.3
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 pm Chris, what do you think of the OSX note? https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18.3
+1
I'm afraid that people may not read the text but search only for the dmg, but we cannot do much about that - except removing the dmg completely.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 pm I'm afraid that people may not read the text but search only for the dmg, but we cannot do much about that - except removing the dmg completely.
I think this is open for discussion. Your FreeCAD's OSX guru, so your opinion holds considerable weight with me.

Could JaxFreeCAD's problem be related to the "unsigned package" issue?
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

JaxFreeCad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:08 pm The download for Mac users only downloads the logo that looks like a link to the app. nothing happens when this logo is clicked or double clicked so there is something amiss for Mac users to use this app.[bug][/bug]
I might have misunderstood this post on first reading and assumed you couldn't install it. But on rereading it may be something very simple:
On first start of a new version you have to use the context menu to open the application. Then you will be asked if you want to open it despite the package not being signed by Apple. If you have confirmed this once you can from then on start FreeCAD as usual with a double click.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:44 pm I think this is open for discussion. Your FreeCAD's OSX guru, so your opinion holds considerable weight with me.
We haven't seen many complaints here about 0.18 for MacOS. But we haven't seen confirmations either. I have no feeling how many users of each version we really have.

Personally I have seen my own 0.18 installation plus two more with very frequent crashes. These have vanished with the new Qt version. Regarding the very high quality of the FreeCAD releases which (currently) does not at all show anything experimental we can very well recommend the current 0.19. As we don't know if things may degrade temporarily (e.g. due to merges from realthunder which may well justify really experimental versions) I tend to replace the 0.18 version with a current 0.19 version.
Could JaxFreeCAD's problem be related to the "unsigned package" issue?
Yes, see my previous post. Thanks for pointing me to it again.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am I tend to replace the 0.18 version with a current 0.19 version.
+1 as already said somewhere else backporting is too much work to get Qtwebengine support into 0.18. So choosing one of the recent 0.19 builds makes sense to me. Only thing missing is the documentation. But are offline docs really necessary?

Regarding signing: I don't know how to do it locally and I don't know how to do it via ci. So I can't help here.

Maybe @blacy or @peterl94 know how to do it via ci, but both are not very active recently.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am We haven't seen many complaints here about 0.18 for MacOS. But we haven't seen confirmations either. I have no feeling how many users of each version we really have.
Some download stats https://www.somsubhra.com/github-releas ... ry=FreeCAD
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Many downloads for 0.18, but neither many issues reported nor some confirmations that things are well. If looo recommends to replace 0.18 for OSX we should do it.