[Solved] Cant run FreeCAD after reinstalling

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abasel

[Solved] Cant run FreeCAD after reinstalling

Post by abasel »

I was running FreeCAD on Fedora 29. I reimaged my machine installing Fedora 30.

I have now downloaded the latest AppImmage: FreeCAD_0.18-16131-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage

I copied it to /opt/freecad

When I run the following
sudo FreeCAD_0.18-16131-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage
I get
/tmp/.mount_FreeCAImobH5
FreeCAD 0.18, Libs: 0.18R16131 (Git)
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2019
##### #### ### ####
# # # # # #
# ## #### #### # # # # #
#### # # # # # # # ##### # #
# # #### #### # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # ## ## ##
# # #### #### ### # # #### ## ## ##

No protocol specified
/tmp/.mount_FreeCAImobH5/AppRun: line 12: 10630 Aborted (core dumped) ${HERE}/usr/bin/FreeCAD "$@"
[abasel@localhost freecad]$
The reason I run it under sudo the first time is to that the desktop file can be created.

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by abasel on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abasel

Re: Cant run FreeCAD after reinstalling

Post by abasel »

I found the "dnf install freecad" option, so all good.

I would however like to know why the AppImage option failed.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

abasel wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 am ...
I would however like to know why the AppImage option failed.
I don't know why the AppImage failed, but in general it's a terrible idea to run regular user applications with "sudo". This gives elevated privileges to the application, which may write some files with "root" ownership; then if you try to run the same application as a regular user, you may not have the permission to access some of the files that the program wrote with elevated privileges.

If you are going to put stuff in /opt/ change the ownership of the containing folder to your regular user, so that you have complete control of the files inside, and you don't need sudo.

Code: Select all

sudo chown abasel:abasel /opt/freecad
You should never be required to run common applications like Firefox, Inkscape, Blender, FreeCAD, etc., with root, unless you have a very specific reason to do that.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
abasel

Post by abasel »

Yes I agree but sometimes just do it on the first runs when the programme might create the desktop file; but point taken :)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

abasel wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm ... on the first runs when the programme might create the desktop file...
But why? The .desktop file should be provided by your package. Or it should be installed in the .local directory (or somewhere) in your user's home directory. No "sudo" needed either.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
abasel

Re: [Solved] Cant run FreeCAD after reinstalling

Post by abasel »

Aah there's my problem, I usually like storing it in a folder outside of my home directory...... self taught and not following best practice... one lives and learns.

Thanks again.
vocx
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Cant run FreeCAD after reinstalling

Post by vocx »

abasel wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 am Aah there's my problem, I usually like storing it in a folder outside of my home directory...
At least in Ubuntu 18.04, which I'm using, the desktop files should be in ~/.local/share/applications/

And correspondingly, for system wide packages, they are placed in /usr/share/applications/