FreeCAD osX stalls on opening file

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
japie

FreeCAD osX stalls on opening file

Post by japie »

When opening a file from Finder FreeCAD stalls forever on splash screen when there is no mouse movement or keyboard activity.

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18610 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 820ad876cb7b23419d617c9366d19042a2ccc627
Python version: 3.7.4
Qt version: 5.13.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Netherlands (en_NL)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD osX stalls on opening file

Post by chrisb »

Does this happen with current 0.19 as well?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
japie

Post by japie »

Yes it does, it's not restricted to my own builds, could be a qt bug but that's only a gut feeling...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Sorry, I had misread your FreeCAD info (got the 18xxx from the revision number as the version :oops:). To get more information you can start from console, or write a log file with additional parameter -l (small letter L).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
japie

Post by japie »

I will trie to gather some more info but as I wrote, its when opening a file from within the OS by double clicking, wil add -l to my program launcher.
Is this only on mac?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

japie wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 am Is this only on mac?
You mean the commandline parameter? No, they are available on all systems.
japie

Post by japie »

No I mean the stalling ;-) I only noticed since I had a pretty large file and grabbed a coffee after double clicking and the splash still showing a message about file topology version, with normal smaller files you wont notice it, if its mac specific its probably a qt issue if its on other platforms its freecad itself
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have seen something similar on windows: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40302.

I have never used opening FreeCAD files by doubleclick before. So did it right now for the first time. I had to select the FreeCAD application and it worked with a reasonably small file of 600kB.
I wanted to try with a bigger file, but since then it never worked again to open any file, not even the previous one.

Opening with the open command from console yields for a file different from the previously opened:

cb$ open /tmp/4_5.FCStd
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /tmp/4_5.FCStd.
cb$ 
And for the previously opened file it yields nothing on console and does nothing.

cb$ open /tmp/8_10.FCStd 
cb$ 
I will return to opening FreeCAD alone and load the file later.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Install/Compile forum. Help forum would have been an option as well, but Developer, was definitely wrong. You post there if you are developing yourself.
japie

Post by japie »

Maybe change the forum name to Install/Compile/Bugreports?
This isnt the first time I post wrong 😅