wild goose chase for compilation instructions.

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

wild goose chase for compilation instructions.

Post by freman »

FreeCAD website main menu button "DOWNLOAD" links to:
https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php
which has "compiling from source" which sends you to:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Compiling
which has "compile on Linux" which sends you to:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Compile_on_Linux

... which is no use to anyone.

Compile on Linux

There is currently no text in this page.

Do some of these links need updating?
freman
Veteran

Re: wild goose chase for compilation instructions.

Post by freman »

PS

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Compile ... .2F28.2F29

the most recent script provided for Fedora29 ( just gone EOL ) will build python2 shiboken ; Fed29 does not have shiboken2 , pyside2 and will not build py3/qt5 FreeCAD.

Since py2/qt4 is now called obselete by FreeCAD , not supported and is actually broken for Path WB. Even if this is left as a starting point, it needs at least a red letter warning that it does not work !

Please update appropriately.

I don't use Debian but it also looks like the instructions there are badly out of date.
OpenSUSE 12.2

No external Repositories are needed to compile FreeCAD 0.13 with this release.
FC 0.13 ?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:14 am Compile on Linux

There is currently no text in this page.

Do some of these links need updating?
FIxed, points to CompileOnUnix
BTW, it's odd because I tried to redirect Compile on Linux to CompileOnUnix and I get a
Permission error
You do not have permission to create this page, for the following reason:

This page is locked because the translatable page is currently being moved.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 am PS

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Compile ... .2F28.2F29

the most recent script provided for Fedora29 ( just gone EOL ) will build python2 shiboken ; Fed29 does not have shiboken2 , pyside2 and will not build py3/qt5 FreeCAD.

Since py2/qt4 is now called obselete by FreeCAD , not supported and is actually broken for Path WB. Even if this is left as a starting point, it needs at least a red letter warning that it does not work !

The Fedora section says
Fedora 27/28/29
Posted by user [PrzemoF] in the forum.
We can ping @PrzemoF here on the forum
PrzemoF wrote::bell:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 am I don't use Debian but it also looks like the instructions there are badly out of date.
OpenSUSE 12.2

No external Repositories are needed to compile FreeCAD 0.13 with this release.
FC 0.13 ?
For the other distros we can have a look at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=36818 to see who the maintainers are and ping them as well.

Off the bat we know that @kkremitzki is involved in Debian.

It looks like a fellow named https://build.opensuse.org/users/adrianSuSE over at https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ce/FreeCAD is the OpenSuSe contact.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

maybe PrzemoF can update it with some thing useful. If not it at least needs a clear warning that it will not build a working FreeCAD. It is a lot of time and effort to do a fresh build from source and then to find out it does not work, trawl the forums only to find out this was known not to work is not going to leave the user with a good feeling about FreeCAD.

IMO it needs a warning now which can be removed , if and when , it gets updated to something current.

I have just managed to build a Fed31 FreeCAD, but it's a one off and I'm not that confident that I want to start attempting providing a guide for others on that limited basis. Too much one-eyed man leading the blind advice around already.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm
Permission error
You do not have permission to create this page, for the following reason:

This page is locked because the translatable page is currently being moved.
See Rename: Compiling pages.

Renato tried renaming the CompileOnUnix page to Compile_on_Linux, but it failed with that message. Can you get in touch with the admins to fix this issue? Can you do it?

Other renames worked without issue, only that page seems to give problems. Maybe there's some translation that is blocking the moving action.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 am ...
I already mentioned it before. We rely on users on editing and maintaining information about individual distributions. I cannot add a warning to the Suse or Fedora instructions if I don't use those systems; I may be lying and writing something that I'm not certain about.

So, contribute, get your wiki account, and start editing as you see fit. In the other thread, SoQt / coin ?, I already pointed to you the contact of hobbes, who seems to be the one looking into FreeCAD packaging in Fedora. Talk to him, form a team, exchange ideas and knowledge. It's the only way to get the information correct.
hobbes1069 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:22 pm Looking at the lint output from my last build on Fedora I see this:
It seems to me that the Suse guys package FreeCAD in their repositories, and it works fine for them. We rarely see questions about compiling FreeCAD in Suse systems.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I may be lying and writing something that I'm not certain about.
You would not be lying if you said qt4/py2 is regarded as obsolete and unsupported and is known to be broken on Path WB: so don't waste your time with the current build script.

I have already been in contact hobbes.

I've sent a request for wiki access.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:18 pm You would not be lying if you said qt4/py2 is regarded as obsolete and unsupported ...
This is clearly correct.
and is known to be broken on Path WB:
This I wouldn't know because I haven't tested it.
so don't waste your time with the current build script.
In my opinion it is a mistake to rely on the "automatic build scripts" in the CompileOnUnix page. The page explains very well the required steps to get the dependencies (in Debian/Ubuntu at least), and how to use them to compile. So, this is the important part.

Any sort of "single script to do ________" is bound to get obsolete if not maintained. As you pointed out, the Debian script seems outdated. The only reason the Ubuntu script is up to date is because I personally tested that it worked. But still, the paragraphs above that section, "2 Getting the dependencies" and "3 Compile FreeCAD" are the important ones, and should be followed before the automatic scripts.