wild goose chase for compilation instructions.

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: wild goose chase for compilation instructions.

Post by freman »

"2 Getting the dependencies" also gets obsoleted by no longer supporting the "default" build: qt4/py2. It seems obtuse to me to have a project where the default build is known not to work and is dependent on package versions which have been declared "obsolete" by the devs, and for which there is no intention to support or even test current master for such builds. No one seems motivated to correct that which seems strange.

Since some time in August when changes to add coolant control to the UI were merged, PathWB simply fails to load. This also destroys any toolcontrollers the user had without any prior warning. Not nice.

The dev who works on that stated clearly that he has no wish to even test it against py2 builds nor to render it compatible. So this is not a question of anyone testing on a particular distro. It is fact. Master still builds on py2 but the result fails to load PathWB and destroys the user's tool config. IMO this should be trapped at compile time, not just dump on the user.

python2 support officially goes at the end of the year and FreeCAD is ahead of the game.

I agree about build scripts. There are so many moving goal posts with the number of deps FC has that it may be wiser not to even provide them. General tips and caveats and package lists for each distro would be helpful but if you are going build something like this out of tree, you really need to be ready to roll your sleeves up, not just cut and paste.

If I get granted the honour of wiki edit rights , I will try to bring the Fedora tips up to date.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:19 pm ...
Since some time in August when changes to add coolant control to the UI were merged, PathWB simply fails to load....
The dev who works on that stated clearly that he has no wish to even test it against py2 builds nor to render it compatible.
Every user looks into what interests them most. I don't use the Path Workbench a lot, so I haven't looked into that problem that you mention. It's unfortunate that they decided to just break a certain aspect without notice. If it were Draft or Arch, I would at least try to keep some compatibility or migration code to avoid outright breaking past models.
If I get granted the honour of wiki edit rights , I will try to bring the Fedora tips up to date.
That's great to hear.

Currently the CompileOnUnix page seems to be broken (locked) so we have to wait for an administrator to unlock it or find a solution to it. Otherwise, we may have to rewrite the information in a new page, Compile on Linux.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Currently the CompileOnUnix page seems to be broken (locked) so we have to wait for an administrator to unlock it or find a solution to it. Otherwise, we may have to rewrite the information in a new page, Compile on Linux.
Since the latter page is where the site menu system currently takes everyone, isn't that simply the best solution? Copy the content across and it will be editable.

That was really my initial complaint in #1. I came in from the top level of the site and ended up at the empty page. I'm fairly sure this path used to lead to CompileOnUnix , so maybe someone started to rearrange all this and never completed or forgot something.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:11 am ... I'm fairly sure this path used to lead to CompileOnUnix , so maybe someone started to rearrange all this and never completed or forgot something.
Yes, we just attempted to move the pages, CompileOnUnix, CompileOnWindows, and CompileOnMac, to Compile_on_Linux, Compile_on_Windows, and Compile_on_MacOS. But there was a problem with the first page, so it was left in that locked state. This just happened a few days ago; it was completely unexpected. We already notified the administrators to solve this issue as soon as possible.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

thanks for the heads up. I have edit access now so hopefully the power that be will unlock these pages soon and I will see if I can improve/update the Fedora sections. The formatting looks rather complicated but I guess copy/paste will keep things consistent.

At least link from downloads page now goes somewhere with some content. Thanks to whoever, fixed that aspect.

Maybe a ping here would be useful when it gets unlocked.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 pm ...
Maybe a ping here would be useful when it gets unlocked.
See here:
* Rename: Compiling pages
* CompileOnUnix wiki page