[SOLVED] AppImage help is gone (was working before)

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
__Vinz__

[SOLVED] AppImage help is gone (was working before)

Post by __Vinz__ »

Hi there,

Thanks again for FreeCAD, it is a great tool and I plan on introducing it to people at work. To that end, I was preparing for a workshop tomorrow. I have been using the AppImage as advised by multiple people on the forum (this is Fedora 30) and that has worked great so far.

However, since yesterday, I cannot open the Help anymore, I am only greeted with an error about "Error loading: qthelp://org.freecad.usermanual/doc/Online_Help_Startpage.html" (see attachment).

I don't know what happened, as far as I know it might have been happening after FreeCAD crashed but I am not sure.

Started with logging enabled (full log attached), I can see in particular:

Code: Select all

Log: Help file at /tmp/.mount_FreeCA4jhP6z/usr/doc/freecad.qhc
Log: Help view: Could not unregister documentation file
/tmp/.mount_FreeCA4jhP6z/usr/doc/freecad.qch

Reason:

Log: Help view: Could not register documentation file
/tmp/.mount_FreeCA4jhP6z/usr/doc/freecad.qch

Reason:
Namespace org.freecad.usermanual already exists.

Log: Help view: XmbTextListToTextProperty result code -2
I am puzzled because I don't know where to look to fix this issue. I have tried removing the ~/.FreeCAD directory without any effect. I have also redownloaded the AppImage without success.

Thanks for your assistance!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16146 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
FreeCAD.log
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Freecad_help.png
Freecad_help.png (154.71 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
freecad_help_error.png
freecad_help_error.png (51.46 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Last edited by __Vinz__ on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Re: AppImage help is gone (was working before)

Post by triplus »

Hi @__Vinz__

Unfortunately previous two attempts didn't yield results, there is still a quirk involved. Will go for a third attempt, when the time permits:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... -527961997

P.S. Currently the only advice i can give you is to delete the following file, before starting the AppImage:

Code: Select all

$HOME.local/share/freecad/freecad/freecad.qhc
__Vinz__

Post by __Vinz__ »

Hi triplus,

Thanks for your timely answer and the Github link. The workaround is perfectly fine for me and I confirm the help now shows correctly, that's great!
Let me know if you want me to report this issue on a bug tracker if that helps.

Thanks you also for your work on the AppImage, this is very useful to run the latest FreeCAD easily. I run Fedora and it looks like, while it runs the latest FreeCAD, the OCC kernel is way behind (according to yorik). The AppImage allows to solve this issue.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

__Vinz__ wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am ...I run Fedora...
If you search around in the forum you'll see that there are some issues with running FreeCAD in Fedora 28 and up. It seems the packagers haven't properly maintained the FreeCAD packages over the years. Now there is a user, hobbes, that is trying to solve this situation in Fedora 31, but it's a complex matter. If you have any way of helping out with the packaging or documentation or testing, you should look into it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
__Vinz__

Re: [SOLVED] AppImage help is gone (was working before)

Post by __Vinz__ »

If you search around in the forum you'll see that there are some issues with running FreeCAD in Fedora 28 and up. It seems the packagers haven't properly maintained the FreeCAD packages over the years. Now there is a user, hobbes, that is trying to solve this situation in Fedora 31, but it's a complex matter. If you have any way of helping out with the packaging or documentation or testing, you should look into it.
Thanks for mentioning that. In my case I was referring to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 35#p286806, where NormandC (sorry, not yorik) was mentioning how old the OCC is in the Fedora package. I will see to find the info about the Fedora builds, could it be https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 3&start=20? I'll chime in the thread.
triplus
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] AppImage help is gone (was working before)

Post by triplus »

AppImage and documentation support:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 24#p369824