[solved] Uninstalling FreeCAD (on Windows 10) isn't fully successful

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Markus40

[solved] Uninstalling FreeCAD (on Windows 10) isn't fully successful

Post by Markus40 »

Hi, I have uninstalled FreeCAD on Windows 10, but it is still shown in apps and features. And when I click uninstall there again, then it's not possible, because already uninstalled. How can I remove the entry of FreeCAD in apps and features?
Thank you
Last edited by Markus40 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Uninstalling FreeCAD (on Windows 10) isn't fully successful

Post by Kunda1 »

What version of FreeCAD ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Markus40

Post by Markus40 »

Version 0.18.4
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Markus40 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am Hi, I have uninstalled FreeCAD on Windows 10, but it is still shown in apps and features. And when I click uninstall there again, then it's not possible, because already uninstalled. How can I remove the entry of FreeCAD in apps and features?
I will try and reproduce locally.
Did you install FreeCAD for system w/admin or for single user?
Did you uninstall from apps and features or using the FreeCAD uninstaller?
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Markus40 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am Hi, I have uninstalled FreeCAD on Windows 10, but it is still shown in apps and features. And when I click uninstall there again, then it's not possible, because already uninstalled. How can I remove the entry of FreeCAD in apps and features?
It looks as if Windows' installed apps was no updated (Windows must do this automatically). What if you just log out from Windows and log in again?
Markus40

Post by Markus40 »

installed for system/admin
uninstalled from apps and features.
Logged out from Windows and restart computer, but it is still there.

I will install FreeCAD again and then I will try it with the FreeCAD uninstaller

Thanks and I will come back to you
Markus40

Post by Markus40 »

there is no FreeCAD uninstaller in Windows start menu

so I checked in Windows apps and features and this is using file called Uninstall-FreeCAD.exe

I closed apps and features and started Uninstall-FreeCAD.exe from Windows explorer. All applications was closed when I run it. I did complete uninstall including user data.

I restarted computer, but FreeCAD is still in apps and features, however when I try a second uninstall there, I got errror message that Uninstall-FreeCAD.exe cannot be find
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Markus40 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:06 am there is no FreeCAD uninstaller in Windows start menu
Yes, because the installer follows the Windows' policies. To uninstall a program use the Windows# system settings. here it is how it looks on my old Win 7 PC:

system settings to uninstall
system settings to uninstall
explorer_70JqOyrlMn.png (84.45 KiB) Viewed 4699 times

Just right-click on the Entry for FreeCAD and then select "uninstall". That works here correctly. fter the uninstallation the Windows' list of installed programs has no longer an entry fro FreeCAD.

What is the case on your PC? Can you please at first assure that you don't have e.g. also an older FreeCAD version installed? Please uninstall all FreeCAD versions, log out won Windows, log in again, then install FreeCAD 0.18.4.
Markus40

Post by Markus40 »

:D
brilliant, you provided the solution!!!

In 'Windows settings, apps and features' (Windows Einstellungen) it was still not removable and error message came:

Then I tried it as you described below in 'Windows System (Start menu), control panel (Systemsteuerung), programmes and features' and there following message came, when I clicked uninstall:

'Error during uninstall of FreeCAD 0.18.4. Possibly it is already uninstalled.
Do you like to remove FreeCAD 0.18.4 from the list of programmes and features?'

I clicked yes and the FreeCAD entry was not only removed from Windows programmes and features, but also from Windows apps and features.

So I think it has something to do with Windows 10 apps and features and it was fixed by the good old control panel of Windows 7.

thank you very much Uwe!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Markus40 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:49 am In 'Windows settings, apps and features' (Windows Einstellungen) it was still not removable and error message came:
thank you very much Uwe!
Many thanks for your feedback. It seems you once installed FreeCAD using the old FreeCAD Win installer. That one had uninstall issues and some more. To fix all known installer issues I created a new installer which is used since FC 0.18.1 (I think).

If you encounter in future un/installer issues with the new installer please keep me informed that I can fix them quickly.

Can you please edit your initial commit in this thread and add the title prefix "[solved]"?