LibPack 12.1.2/4 misses some executables

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

LibPack 12.1.2/4 misses some executables

Post by uwestoehr »

Thanks to the LibPack I can compile FreeCAD. However what I compile is not fuilly functional. For example I cannot perform FEM calculations.

I noticed that the LibPack misses some files. For example the gmsh.exe that is necessary to create meshes for FEM.
Other missing files are the mkl_***.dll files in the bin folder.

Can these files please be added to the LibPack?
apeltauer wrote: .
@apeltauer is it possible to update the Libpack to OCC 7.4?
vocx
Veteran

Re: LibPack 12.1.2/4 misses some executables

Post by vocx »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 am ... For example the gmsh.exe that is necessary to create meshes for FEM.
I don't think including external executables is correct. As far as I can tell, the LibPack contains the requisite libraries needed to compile FreeCAD. It is done like this because in Windows you don't have a package manager that can install these dependencies.

But Gmsh is not needed to compile FreeCAD, it is only used at runtime. So, it should not be included in the LibPack. As a user, you are supposed to install these external programs needed at runtime.

This is the difference with the packaged executable produced from Conda; this already includes the auxiliary tools to fully use FreeCAD.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

vocx wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:05 am
I don't think including external executables is correct....
I am 100% with this.
But maybe we can start to create a pack where we can store all needed 3rd party executables?!?
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 am @apeltauer is it possible to update the Libpack to OCC 7.4?
Of course it is. But i had some trouble when i was trying to build against occ 7.4 some while ago.
See this thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 7&start=20

I can try again to use occ 7.4, i hope all the dependencies work....
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 am
vocx wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:05 am I don't think including external executables is correct....
But maybe we can start to create a pack where we can store all needed 3rd party executables?!?
Yes, this would be nice. I stumbled over this because a user requested a change in the Windows installer for FreeCAD. Thus I packages the FreeCAD I compiled using the LibPack with the installer and then noticed that there are some missing .exe and .dll. So in order to avoid to be forced to use Conda, it would be nice to have a LibPack + a "DependencyPack" in order to compile a fully functional FreeCAD.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:39 am I can try again to use occ 7.4, i hope all the dependencies work....
This would be nice. As far as I read in OCC-related mailing lists OCC 7.4 improved Boolean operations a lot. Therefore I think this improved also FreeCAD for some users (like me for example :) ).
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

OCC 7.4 is already compiled and ready.
Now i am trying to compile FC against occ 7.4. But i think i have to compile netgen against occ 7.4 too. We will see...
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:20 pm This would be nice. As far as I read in OCC-related mailing lists OCC 7.4 improved Boolean operations a lot. Therefore I think this improved also FreeCAD for some users (like me for example :) ).
Do you have any sample data on which we can do a performance analyse with both version of opencascade??
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:32 pm Do you have any sample data on which we can do a performance analyse with both version of opencascade??
Here is an example using Boolean operations:
http://ftp.lyx.de/Billas/Turbinenschauf ... Test.FCStd

It is not that OCC 7.4 brings new features in this respect but a lot of bugfixes and while working on the above example document (created according to : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB2zJ_FU11A
I got several Boolean errors.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

apeltauer wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:18 pm OCC 7.4 is already compiled and ready.
Now i am trying to compile FC against occ 7.4. But i think i have to compile netgen against occ 7.4 too. We will see...
think FreeCAD's internal SMESH is not ported to OCCT 7.4, and this fork must be used https://github.com/LaughlinResearch/SMESH, at least this is what Conda uses.
"fight the good fight"