[SOLVED] Not run FreeCAD_0.19-19405 AppImage

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
triplus

Re: Not run FreeCAD_0.19-19405 AppImage

Postby triplus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 pm

looo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:08 pm
It's a bit difficult to judge if adding the pyc files solved the issues or not. Most of the time only negative feedback arrives the forum.
Can you remember why you deleted the pyc files? I assumed it was because of the appimage-size.
If i remember correctly it was a part of a "general debugging" attempt. Early in the FreeCAD migration from PPA to Conda. Anyway, i somehow feel this isn't .pyc files, or general related issue, but best to wait first for @Genues respond.

When it comes to .pyc files, as we are already talking about them, we can decide further, on the managing strategy. We can include them in AppImage, the ones created in Conda environment, delete them and use an environment variable PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE, starting with Python 3.8 to delete them and tryout the usage of use the environment variable PYTHONPYCACHEPREFIX.

Therefore i would suggest for first to wait for the @Genues respond and feedback. If the issue persists, we should delete the .pyc files once more and add PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE environment variable. If the issue will persist, it's likely not a .pyc file related issue.
triplus

Postby triplus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:12 pm

This is i guess related:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p365490

Extracting the AppImage should confirm or rule out .pyc being an issue. Lets wait for feedback.

P.S. As for the inclusion of Assembly 3 module by default. Doesn't installation already work with Addons manger or PIP tools? Rationale being, people can download the latest version, compared to using the one embedded in the AppImage?
vocx

Postby vocx » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:03 am

looo wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 am
I added asm3 to the appimage yesterday. I will have a look.
Why? I don't see Assembly3 in the Addon Manager. It should be available there before being added to other packages.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
PMac

Postby PMac » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:17 am

triplus wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:38 pm
Note that i don't experience such issues, therefore best to download the latest AppImage again, and try again if the problem persists. Note that the AppImage needs to be downloaded/updated again today. Yesterdays version won't do.
Hi triplus,
Have again downloaded full 0.19-19405 image today Sun 2nd Feb afternoon - file size appears to have increased and v 19405 FC now runs here on LinuxMint 19.3 without any of the previously reported startup errors.
Yesterdays version won't do.
One question - Is the posted appimage file being altered behind the scenes, without the version number the public sees as the latest development release being changed? Joe Bloggs users like me might expect that a file when changed, then posted for public download might have a new version number.
triplus

Postby triplus » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:25 am

PMac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:17 am
Hi triplus,
Have again downloaded full 0.19-19405 image today Sun 2nd Feb afternoon - file size appears to have increased and v 19405 FC now runs here on LinuxMint 19.3 without any of the previously reported startup errors.
Good to hear that and lets wait a bit for other confirmations.
One question - Is the posted appimage file being altered behind the scenes, without the version number the public sees as the latest development release being changed? Joe Bloggs users like me might expect that a file when changed, then posted for public download might have a new version number.
Packages are build for Conda and after we use a Travis instance to create an AppImage. Therefore for example a package can change on Conda or an AppImage creation procedure can change, but the file name can stay the same. If you use any of the AppImage update tools, then only the delta will get downloaded and it will detect if the AppImage has changed.
looo

Postby looo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 am

vocx wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:03 am
looo wrote:
Why? I don't see Assembly3 in the Addon Manager. It should be available there before being added to other packages.
I started distributing asm3 via conda-packages. Distributing via the addon-manager is not the best option as there we don't have much control to select compatible versions which is absolutely necessary for more difficult addons.

Anyway I would like to gather feedback for asm3. Therefore including it directly in the appimage makes a lot of sense to me.
nic

Postby nic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:08 pm

looo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 am
vocx wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:03 am
looo wrote:
I started distributing asm3 via conda-packages. Distributing via the addon-manager is not the best option as there we don't have much control to select compatible versions which is absolutely necessary for more difficult addons.

Anyway I would like to gather feedback for asm3. Therefore including it directly in the appimage makes a lot of sense to me.
Nice! will this be available in daily as well?
triplus

Postby triplus » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:19 pm

It already is, that is why there is/was a problem with Assembly 3 module in FreeCAD 0.19 AppImage. ;)
vocx

Postby vocx » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:26 pm

looo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 am
... Distributing via the addon-manager is not the best option as there we don't have much control to select compatible versions which is absolutely necessary for more difficult addons.
What exactly causes the difficulty? The version of the SolveSpace solver? Other than that, how is Assembly3 more difficult than other addons?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx

Postby vocx » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:29 pm

nic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:08 pm
Nice! will this be available in daily as well?
I doubt the Assembly3 package will be available in the Ubuntu daily packages. The daily packages don't include any addons, just the base system.

But looo is talking about the AppImage, which while it is not built daily, it is built weekly so it works for the same purpose, to get the latest code.