[Update: Reported upstream and issue fixed] F-Secure "Potentially unwanted application blocked"

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dvg

[Update: Reported upstream and issue fixed] F-Secure "Potentially unwanted application blocked"

Post by dvg »

First of all, I think FreeCAD is positively wonderful. Thanks for the incredible work you people have done so far! :-)

One question though:

Just downloaded the latest portable windows release (0.19.2) from github here.

After unzipping, on Windows 10, I get a message from F-Secure that it has blocked the file "FreeCAD-0.19.2.7b5e18a-WIN-x64-portable1\bin\pcl_add_gaussian_noise_release.exe" on suspicion of being a bitcoin miner ("PUA/BitcoinMiner.Gen7").

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

I hope it is not a legitimate concern...
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added update to thread title
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: F-Secure "Potentially unwanted application blocked"

Post by GeneFC »

I just downloaded that release, unzipped it, and tested the suspect file with Virus Total.

Totally negative, including F-Secure.

Gene
dvg

Post by dvg »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:04 pm I just downloaded that release, unzipped it, and tested the suspect file with Virus Total.

Totally negative, including F-Secure.

Gene
You are right, I verified this on my side.

Note that VirusTotal does say "May differ from commercial off-the-shelf product."

Still, my "consumer" version of F-Secure (fully up-to-date) most definitely flags the file as a bitcoin miner.

I did not experience any problems with the 0.19.1 release, but that doesn't include the "pcl_add_gaussian_noise_release.exe" file.
dvg

Post by dvg »

Just to be sure, I submitted the file to F-Secure. Here's their answer:
Our analysis has found that the file you submitted is clean.

Our security products recently had a False Positive related to this file and the issue was then fixed automatically via F-Secure's Security Cloud.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Update: Reported upstream and issue fixed] F-Secure "Potentially unwanted application blocked"

Post by Kunda1 »

dvg wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:17 am Just to be sure, I submitted the file to F-Secure. Here's their answer:
Awesome, thanks. I've updated the thread title to reflect the news
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs