Build against OCC 7.5.2

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Build against OCC 7.5.2

Post by drmacro »

Is it worth compiling 0.20 with OCC 7.5.2?

If so how does one change from 7.5.1 to do so?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
fcaduser

Re: Build against OCC 7.5.2

Post by fcaduser »

Bug fixes from the kernel are always welcome. The problem is :
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58090
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

fcaduser wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:44 am The problem is
As far as i know wmayer have committed a a workaround. See https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 1efd1683f2. I did not try it myself since i work at the moment realthunders branch Topological Naming 1, which have not the fix at the moment.

Greetings
user1234
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

@user1234

Thank you.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I recently built a new drive for a system with vanilla Debian 10.

I proceeded to do a git pull on FreeCAD and build to have 0.20 running.

But, the build results in the OCC version being 7.3.

I did nothing to make it so; I assume by default the git pull did it. (I.e. I did nothing to put OCC on the machine.)

The question is: How do I get this to use the latest (or at least latest that FreeCAD can) version of OCC?

If there is a how to or guide to do this? I'm happy to follow it, please point me to it...I've not made much sense of the things I've found on the forum (described patches, etc.). I'm not a dev any more and don't grok all the make and build scripts etc. (I build FC each day with a git pull and then the process described in the wiki for building on Linux...but, if it doesn't work...I'm not up to date with knowledge to debug. :oops: )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

nothing? 8-)

Am I missing something? :oops:
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

As far i remember you are on Debian 10? Then you must compile OCCT7.5.2 yourself and install it. I do not know if this is possible on Debian 10, but the change is pretty high. But before you install your self compiled OCCT, you must remove your current one.

I have not tried it yet, because i have a built branch from the PR4752 https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4752 still active, if some developer needs testing. The question is, if this PR is still alive. If i know that is void, that i would try to built OCCT7.5.2 and the on FreeCAD (on Debian 11).

Greetings
user1234
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 am As far i remember you are on Debian 10? Then you must compile OCCT7.5.2 yourself and install it. I do not know if this is possible on Debian 10, but the change is pretty high. But before you install your self compiled OCCT, you must remove your current one.
See, here's the thing...

I have an Ubuntu 20.04 box. I don't remember doing anything with OCC and FC is running against 7.5.1

I created a different machine with Debian 10 and it's running against 7.3

On both machines the starting point for FC was a git clone (so both are running FC0.20) and subsequent git pull on a daily basis.

I also have a similarly compiled version of FC 0.20 on a Raspberry Pi that I can't get to ATM, so I'm not sure what it's using for OCC.

But, my real quandary is why there are different versions of OCC on these machines...it could be I just don't remember getting OCC 7.5.1 on the Ubuntu 20.04 box, but, I definitely don't have the source for OCC there. :?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

No wonder. Ubuntu often uses packages from Debian next stable. Your case is:
- Debian 10: OCCT7.3.0 from Debian 10
- Ubuntu20.04: OCCT7.5.1 based from from Debian 11

And on Debian based LinuxOS, which are both, when you install or compile FreeCAD, the base libraries are shared. Means: if you install FreeCAD from the repositories, it uses the same repositories as when you compile it. When you install FreeCAD from the repositories, then it installs the libraries automatic, which means: you also have to install always the libraries.

I hope you understand my scrawl.

Greetings
user1234