Main executable fails on Win10. Infinite loop?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
atomicalex

Main executable fails on Win10. Infinite loop?

Post by atomicalex »

Hello, I am new to this! Mostly computer literaterate, but stumped.

I had FreeCAD 0.19.2 running fine on my WIN10 machine. All was good. However, due to a malware attack, I had to rebuild and now, when I try to run it, well, nothing. My slicer runs fine. My games work.

The entire splash screen loads, and then the main window opens, but the main executable gets stuck in a loop and does not complete the load. I have let it sit for a while, no luck. I have updated a few odds and ends on my system (java, python, etc) and still nothihng. I have re-run the installer a few times, no luck.

Win10 OS build is 19041.1052, and I am running a Dell G5 with oodles of memory, storage, etc.

I completely have no idea where to look here. I will gladly supply logs if you can advise where to find them.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
freecad fail.png
freecad fail.png (12.3 KiB) Viewed 904 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Main executable fails on Win10. Infinite loop?

Post by GeneFC »

FreeCAD on Windows requires absolutely nothing extra, such as python or java. It is possible that an installation such as python is interfering with FreeCAD, which brings along its own version of python.

I would test by ignoring the installed version of FreeCAD and downloading one of the development versions at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds

Unpack with 7-zip and run FreeCAD.exe in the bin folder of the unpacked structure. No installation needed.

There are other possible causes for the problem, of course, but I do not recall those symptoms on the forum.

You might also check the known OS related problems to see if anything looks like a potential problem.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30573

Gene
atomicalex

Post by atomicalex »

Thank you, I will try those!
atomicalex

Post by atomicalex »

Thank you, doing the standalone package resulted in success. I appreciate your help very much!