<RESOLVED> Program (Not Responding) upon opening

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Freakbiker

Re: Program (Not Responding) upon opening

Post by Freakbiker »

kisolre wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm Ok, last 3 experiments :)

1, 2 - Win-Conda and Win--LP latest development builds from here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds

3. Another opengl.dll (Mesa) library as described here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 19#p355319
Tried the dll and same issue, tried both version with and without the dll and same issue.

Am I the only one having this issue? I don't have anything out of the ordinary here. ASUS Hero XI MB, Intel i7 9700k, MSI GTX 1660.
If the MS update cause an issue wouldn't you be seeing a lot more people having this issue.

I have several Dell DOM machines and a Alienware Laptop I could dig out an try but I don't understand why it doesn't seem to be others too with this problem
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Do you have any Windows paths set up for libraries such as Python or Boost? Blender and FreeCAD are probably using different support libraries. Trying to run both at the same time could cause conflicts. (Some people do this successfully, I am sure.)

I run lots of different FreeCAD versions on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 with zero problems of the sort you are reporting. I purposely have absolutely nothing in my Windows path related to FreeCAD. I cannot point to a specific example, but I recall that several years ago I stumbled over something related to Boost libraries that were called out in the path list. I removed those entries and cleared up the problem.

Gene
Freakbiker

Post by Freakbiker »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:50 pm Do you have any Windows paths set up for libraries such as Python or Boost? Blender and FreeCAD are probably using different support libraries. Trying to run both at the same time could cause conflicts. (Some people do this successfully, I am sure.)

I run lots of different FreeCAD versions on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 with zero problems of the sort you are reporting. I purposely have absolutely nothing in my Windows path related to FreeCAD. I cannot point to a specific example, but I recall that several years ago I stumbled over something related to Boost libraries that were called out in the path list. I removed those entries and cleared up the problem.

Gene
I'll check the path, but I tried running it just after reboot without ever spinning up Blender. I did install on my laptop successfully so it likely is something your mentioning or another config issue. Also my laptop does not have a heavy 3d graphics card so there still could be something with reported issues with that too. It wouldn't be ideal running from the laptop so I really would like to get this resolved. I'll try the paths.
Strangely it did work a few times yesterday and I have tried executing from the working directory without success.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

From what I can see the log file looks normal, but an expert should have a look.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Freakbiker

Post by Freakbiker »

Resolved, poor directory permissions on install for Windows 10 Pro
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: <RESOLVED> Program (Not Responding) upon opening

Post by adrianinsaval »

It's not very helpful if you don't specify what was the issue or how it was solved
Freakbiker

Post by Freakbiker »

It also wasn't helpful that the known issues link has an Nvidia control panel fix that was deprecated over a year ago and someone spends a few hours digging through why it wasn't working as described.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Freakbiker wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:30 pm It also wasn't helpful that the known issues link has an Nvidia control panel fix that was deprecated over a year ago and someone spends a few hours digging through why it wasn't working as described.
Stop whining, start helping.
Freakbiker

Post by Freakbiker »

Here you go

Give Full permissions on the Freecad directory to "Users"

The installation only grants Read and execute, adding Write is not enough, needs to be Full Control.

Installing in Program Files or the root of the system partition doesn't matter. Installing on another drive other than system works.

I don't recommend the sledge hammer approach to just grant full control to the root of the directory but if others want to do this until the Devs properly fix it, have at it
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Freakbiker wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:30 pm It also wasn't helpful that the known issues link has an Nvidia control panel fix that was deprecated over a year ago and someone spends a few hours digging through why it wasn't working as described.
What do you expect? I maintain the known issues page, but I don't have a well paid staff with all kinds of supported OSs and hardware. I depend mostly on the information I see in the forum, so if you want to help, give some more information about how you solved the issue, and don't complain that things are outdated in the list.

It may be a good idea to add the date for the entries though.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.