Running a compiled version of FreeCAD

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Running a compiled version of FreeCAD

Post by sgrogan »

MikeLemon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:55 pm Sorry that explanation confused me a bit.
I'll try to be more clear.

You can ignore the error and develop on the FreeCAD.exe but this is in Release mode.
If you want to attach FreeCAD to a debugger, you will want to compile FreeCAD_d.exe.

I think it's pretty common to have multiple build directories present at the same time. For instance, one build directory for master and another for your topic branch.
As far as copying the dependencies, it depends how concerned you are with disk space. The CMake switches are pretty bullet proof, but aren't very efficient. They copy a lot of unnecessary stuff. If you have multiple build directories you end up with multiple copies of the same stuff, not to mention they are already in the Libpack.

FreeCAD is designed to run from the build and/or the install directory. I think most, if not all, developers use the build directory and don't even run the install project. The build directory, directory structure is the same cross-platform. The INSTALL project copies files from the build directory and re-arranges the directory structure to match the target platform. The INSTALL project also doesn't copy some stuff from the build directory that is only necessary for compilation. The install project is mostly for distribution.

For an IDE, I guess MSVS-CE is probably the most popular on Win but people are also using;
QT Creator
KDevelop
Code::Blocks

It's personal preference. Some don't use the MSVS IDE because it is proprietary.
QT Creator, for instance, integrates well with QT, I here it integrates more seamlessly with other QT development tools like QT designer. It's opensource.

The FC-build.bat is probably something I posted on the forum? I haven't posted it on the wiki because it is not very general. If you want help modifying it for your needs I'm available.

I hope this is more clear.

And welcome to the project! It's always great to see people interested in developing FreeCAD. If there is anything I can do to help please reach out, PM if necessary.
"fight the good fight"
MikeLemon

Re: Running a compiled version of FreeCAD

Post by MikeLemon »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:03 pm
MikeLemon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:55 pm Sorry that explanation confused me a bit.
I'll try to be more clear.

You can ignore the error and develop on the FreeCAD.exe but this is in Release mode.
If you want to attach FreeCAD to a debugger, you will want to compile FreeCAD_d.exe.

I think it's pretty common to have multiple build directories present at the same time. For instance, one build directory for master and another for your topic branch.
As far as copying the dependencies, it depends how concerned you are with disk space. The CMake switches are pretty bullet proof, but aren't very efficient. They copy a lot of unnecessary stuff. If you have multiple build directories you end up with multiple copies of the same stuff, not to mention they are already in the Libpack.

FreeCAD is designed to run from the build and/or the install directory. I think most, if not all, developers use the build directory and don't even run the install project. The build directory, directory structure is the same cross-platform. The INSTALL project copies files from the build directory and re-arranges the directory structure to match the target platform. The INSTALL project also doesn't copy some stuff from the build directory that is only necessary for compilation. The install project is mostly for distribution.

For an IDE, I guess MSVS-CE is probably the most popular on Win but people are also using;
QT Creator
KDevelop
Code::Blocks

It's personal preference. Some don't use the MSVS IDE because it is proprietary.
QT Creator, for instance, integrates well with QT, I here it integrates more seamlessly with other QT development tools like QT designer. It's opensource.

The FC-build.bat is probably something I posted on the forum? I haven't posted it on the wiki because it is not very general. If you want help modifying it for your needs I'm available.

I hope this is more clear.

And welcome to the project! It's always great to see people interested in developing FreeCAD. If there is anything I can do to help please reach out, PM if necessary.

Thank you very much I'm actually starting to creep up into the KiCAD dev team after using it commercially for 5+ years so just wating kicad 6 to come out after planning complications get resolved there, and I think I got you so when I used cmake "cmake --build C:/Coding/build" in the folder it compiled the project with FreeCAD_d.exe file I Guess according to the cmake output.

So do you suggest to use that for development? how long is it suppose to take per rebuild of the project after updating say a single cpp/python file?

and I've messed around with Qt designer just to create UI templates for some app I build in the past I'll look into it soon after I get a little more familiar with the development workflow.