Newbie - System Requirements

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DanL

Newbie - System Requirements

Post by DanL »

Hi everyone,

I am new to FreeCAD. I am planning to buy an HP laptop and then install FreeCAD on it, but I am not sure if the new laptop is good enough to run FreeCAD. Please look at the specs and let me know if I should buy it:

Operating system Windows 10 Home 64

PROCESSOR
Chipset AMD Integrated SoC
Processor cache 8 MB L3
Processor core 8
Processor family AMD Ryzen™ 7 processor
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700U (up to 4.3 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads)

Memory 16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB)

Graphics (integrated) AMD Radeon™ Graphics

Internal Storage 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

https://www.hp.com/ca-en/shop/product.a ... BL&sel=NTB

Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Newbie - System Requirements

Post by chrisb »

This sounds better than what many forum regulars have, but if it's enough depends on what you intend to do. FreeCAD is not very resource hungry, but it needs any power it can get if you intend to convert large meshes into solids.

Make sure your graphics card supports OpenGL, so if possible you should make a test run with a current development version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

Without knowing what you are planning to do, it is impossible to answer. What is your project, designing a pencil sharpener or an aircraft ? Each doesn't require exactly the same resources, does it ? But one thing I can say for sure is that the scale of the project you can do with a very modest computer is astonishing. Your future laptop is a beast compared to my PC, yet I am committed to great projects. Generally speaking, people greatly overestimate the minimum system requirements for a decent work environment.
DanL

Post by DanL »

Thanks chrisb and fcaduser for your prompt response. I have tried to dig up more info on the integrated GPU, but to no avail. I will try to chat with HP rep again to find out if it supports OpenGL as chrisb said. The GPU is the only concern of all.
Nothing that fancy of what I use the computer for. Just for drafting a few things in the living room, kitchen, bedrooms, and generally for my hobby. Thanks again you two.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

are there graphics cards that don't support opengl? :o
DanL

Post by DanL »

Hi adrianinsaval,

So you mean the integrated graphics chip on this laptop supports OpenGL, right? It sounds good. Some people say I need a discrete graphics card with dedicated RAM to run FreeCAD. Please shed some light on this. Thanks.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

DanL wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:41 am ...
Chipset AMD Integrated SoC
Processor family AMD Ryzen™ 7 processor
Graphics (integrated) AMD Radeon™ Graphics
Hi DanL, I suggest you try this search string:
+appimage +amd +64 site:forum.freecadweb.org
in your favourite search engine and add the result to your own well researched and informed descision.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

DanL wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:00 am Some people say I need a discrete graphics card with dedicated RAM to run FreeCAD.
FreeCAD uses the graphics capability for display. It does not use a GPU for computing. There might be some impact on frame rate if you are performing a lot of movement or animation. For model building the graphics capability is close to irrelevant.

I do not believe the best graphics card in the world would make much difference. The big time consumer in FreeCAD is dealing with meshes. Lots of memory is very important, and more cores helps in some situations.

I have not used anything but built-in Intel graphics for a long time.

Your setup should work fine.

Gene
DanL

Post by DanL »

Good morning,

I'd like to thank you all for helping me, and especially GeneFC for your relevant input.
Have a wonderful day, guys!

DanL