Building LINKDAILY

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Building LINKDAILY

Post by drmacro »

I build the master every day. And today is no issue.

I have also, built the interim build that includes precursor to linkdaily code that wmayer began.

No issues.

But, I am attempting to build the latest LinkDaily code and it complains that it need Qt4. Yet the previously mentioned build seems happy with Qt5 on this machine.

Is this true?

Or am I missing something? (Likely since, I am not a build maven and if the out-of-box scripts fail, well, I left those skills in 2016...) :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Syres
Veteran

Re: Building LINKDAILY

Post by Syres »

I think you need to ping RT, I've tried all sorts to get it working (and failed miserably), I don't think many people compile this branch themselves, hence the lack of feedback!!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Syres wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am I've tried all sorts to get it working (and failed miserably)
which is a problem under LGPL:

complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

probably missing -DBUILD_QT5=ON ? IIRC qt5 was made default in master but it would seem this change hasn't been done in realthunder's branch. Here an example on how people are compiling in archlinux: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... stage3-git (look at the build() function)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

There are 40 or more places in the source directory where build() appears.

There are mentions of the -DBUILD_QT5=ON (most are commented out...)

At least one place it is -DBUILD_QT5=true rather than =ON

So, I have no idea where (or if) it needs to be added. :?

realthunder wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Attempted to override the DBUILD_QT5 as shown in the wiki...no joy

Code: Select all

cmake ../<local l3 source> -DBUILD_QT5=ON 
The end of the CMakeError.log:

Code: Select all

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_3dacb/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/mac/freecadL3-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o
/usr/bin/cc   -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create   -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o   -c /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.c
Linking C executable cmTC_3dacb
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/cc  -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create    CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o  -o cmTC_3dacb -lpthreads 
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthreads
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_3dacb.dir/build.make:87: cmTC_3dacb] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/mac/freecadL3-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [Makefile:121: cmTC_3dacb/fast] Error 2
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

I am able to compile LinkDaily, but I had to disable modules dependent on SMESH (Mesh, Fem). Internal SMESH does not like C++17 probably...
Other settings:
QT5 enabled
Python set to python3.9
CPP compiler set to C++17
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kwahoo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:23 pm I am able to compile LinkDaily, but I had to disable modules dependent on SMESH (Mesh, Fem). Internal SMESH does not like C++17 probably...
Other settings:
QT5 enabled
Python set to python3.9
CPP compiler set to C++17
Thanks...no idea how to disable modules or set those (other than the QT5 argument to cmake) :roll:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

kwahoo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 pm cmake-gui makes life easier...
Makes life easier...once you learn it.

I don't know how to use it. When I start it I have no idea where to start, it's a bunch of empty fields. Will it tell me how to do the things you describe?
(Wanna give me a tutorial. :?: :mrgreen: )

I use the build process defined in the FC wiki, as is also pointed to by the linkdaily github.

It works fine for master, it doesn't for linkdaily. :(