Ubuntu Impish builds fail

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Ubuntu Impish builds fail

Post by wmayer »

Everyday I get a notification from Launchpad that the Impish build fails. Here is the link to the build log: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/56305317 ... ING.txt.gz

Searching for "Waiting for unfinished jobs" directly points you to the failure:
make[4]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so', needed by 'lib/libSMDS.so'. Stop.
For all previous Ubuntu versions the file /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so was provided by libc6-dev but since Impish this package doesn't provide the file any more. What it provides is the static version libdl.a.

Now there are a couple of packages for different architectures that provide the file but none of them puts the file to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/.

Now I wonder what library adds a dependency to a file that doesn't exist.
cappu

Re: Ubuntu Impish builds fail

Post by cappu »

Hello, I have the same problem. Is a solution/workarround available in meantime?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-a ... 29718.html
First major update in the list. I hope, it helps.

Greetings
user1234
cappu

Post by cappu »

Hello, thanks for answer. Unfortunately I am a Ubuntu and FreeCad-SW dummy and was not able to solve the issue with your comment. I understood the comment that multiple libraries are combined in libc. I also thought to understand that the library responsible thought of backwards compatibility. But, in reality, it seams not to work. I also found no workaround on linux. And to change code (cmake?) I am not able to do without huge support.
I searched on my hard-disk for the lost library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so and found /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2. (Version 2 of the library) So I simply created a link name "libdl.so" to libdl.so.2 and compiling run through and first check with compiled FreeCad seems fine.
If this is a complete stupid solution please let us know.
Thanks
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

cappu wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:26 am I searched on my hard-disk for the lost library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so and found /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2. (Version 2 of the library) So I simply created a link name "libdl.so" to libdl.so.2 and compiling run through and first check with compiled FreeCad seems fine.
If this is a complete stupid solution please let us know.
That's totally fine and is the way how it's normally done by the packages. The package libc6 provides the file libdl.so.2 and the libc6-dev package used to create a symlink libdl.so. Since Impish it apparently doesn't do this any more and it's up to the user to create this link manually.

So, for the Launchpad build we need exactly this workaround where a script creates the symlink.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Do we need to make a change to the installation instructions on the Wiki? It sounds like this is going to affect more than just Impish, as other distros switch to GNU C 2.34.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
JulianTodd

Post by JulianTodd »

The answer is yes, the wiki needs to be fixed right now so that someone who is not a level 6 devops wizard can compile and develop and debug FreeCAD C++ code in an IDE!

First it was the apt-get install python3-pyside-gui not working, and now this. And I'm using a plain vanilla fresh install of ubuntu for the purpose of attempting to do some C++ debugging (something I used to be good at last time I tried). All I get are blockers. Just tell me what system to start with and some reliably steps to get there, and I'll use it.

We don't expect the guys who are good at setting up working build systems to have a clue about how to debug the code for intersecting two nurbs curves. So why is a maths guy like me supposed to have this degree of competence at debugging the broken build instructions before I can ever have a chance to get any work done?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

OK, I added a short note. I don't know how discoverable it is, but it's better than nothing I suppose. Please feel free to edit and add any pertinent details.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_ ... _and_later
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

this sounds more like a debian/ubuntu packaging issue than a libc issue, I never that warning on arch and it's been on the same 2.35 package for a month, probably longer since it's the third revision of that package and before that it was probably libc 2.34. And I think it also only has /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 but no /usr/lib/libdl.so
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/glibc/

what is lib/libSMDS.so and why does it need /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so and not /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 ?