You do not have permission to open the application “FreeCAD”.

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gblass

You do not have permission to open the application “FreeCAD”.

Post by gblass »

Hi All
I have been using FC for a few months now on a PC and I like it. My laptop recently died and I got a new Mac Book Air with the M1 processor running Big Sir. I downloaded the FC install file and installed it in the Applications directory with no problems. The problem is when I try to run FC I get this error... "You do not have permission to open the application “FreeCAD”.

I've tried checking the security settings and can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Being new to Mac OS is not making this any easier.

Has anyone else run into this problem with Mac Big Sir OS ?

Thanks
George
chrisb
Veteran

Re: You do not have permission to open the application “FreeCAD”.

Post by chrisb »

gblass wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:18 am Has anyone else run into this problem with Mac Big Sir OS ?
Not that I have heard of. Try to run it as admin - only temporarily:
- open a terminal, if necessary search for it with CMD+Space and enter "Terminal"
- enter this with the right path to the app:
sudo open ~/Applications/FreeCAD.app

Sad to say, but I will probably not be able to react to your answer, so somebody else should jump in.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

If I am not totally wrong then I think we had this problem a while ago.
See also: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/666611 and here the workaround that helped: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/648 ... 0#64895860
gblass

Post by gblass »

Update - I have FC installed and running. It took 2 calls to support but Apple got me going. Being as new to Mac OS as I am it appears to be a problem with Big Sir update. After trying all the obvious things the tech had me reboot to what I think was the Windows equivalent of safe mode. Then we were finally able to get FC installed.

Thanks for all the replies.