cmake error detecting opencascade files on Fedora [FIXED]

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: cmake error detecting opencascade files on Fedora [FIXED]

Post by freman »

Thanks. So you have explained the flawed logic which leads to it being hard to find.

Why do you assume that someone wishing to build from source sets out to "contribute"?
It is not via download because download addresses users/testers.
Well it is linked on the download page but discretely in the bottom right-hand corner, which is easily missed because we find "Development versions" section higher up. That link takes us to a page where weekly builds AND recent master source code is provided but with NO link to build instructions.

That is why I was unable to find it initially and that was quite frustrating.

"Development versions" links to a page with various download links introduced by this text:
Various bundles are offered here, which are renewed weekly.

1 Appimages (conda-based) run on most Linux distributions.
2 Dmg's (conda-based) run on osx.
3 There are different versions for windows
That is missing a fourth entry:
4 Recent source code archive. Build instructions can be found here .... https://wiki.freecad.org/Compiling

Maybe it would be helpful to add something like that so that you don't need to discover one path, get the source code, then forget why you went there and discover a separate path to the build instructions.

Downloads | Development versions would seem a direct and logical path to follow when looking for source code, and it provides it. It would be helpful if it provided a link to how to make use of it.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'd like to see the website updated and modernized even further, @freman. I think your feedback is useful (even if we're detecting a slight 'edginess' to it. And I know that feeling, it is frustrating to want to see more organization. That's why I try to make that happen but it needs to happen everywhere...lol

So it does help if users also jump in and help make it happen. If they don't, feedback is also great. But less 'edginess' is better because it can be off-putting and demoralizing to other volunteers who are trying to keep up.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for the positive tone Kunda. All that is needed is one line, though I'm sure other things could be improved.

I have wiki edit rights but don't have access to modify the rest of the site. Otherwise I'd have fixed it already.

I think acknowledging what users report as difficulties in finding information on the site is more appropriate than effectively than saying it's fine the way it is and they have made a mistake if they can't find stuff. That can lead to edginess and not taking time to report problems and suggested improvements in the future.

Having a link to the build info on the same page as the download links which include source tarballs seems like a minimum to prevent people wasting time hunting around. If you have access, maybe you could add a link. :)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

freman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:18 am Thanks. So you have explained the flawed logic which leads to it being hard to find.
Why do you assume that someone wishing to build from source sets out to "contribute"?
To clarify, I did not design the website.

I understood the logic that to compile to look under contribute. Looking at downloads gives you the info how to obtain install packages and how to install.
Other organizations have the same structure:
https://www.libreoffice.org/

LibreOffice have the category "Help" and personally, I think we should have this too. This category will list all info, how to translate, to compile etc.

I also don't have a problem when we share info twice, e.g. in the Contribute and the Help menu because the most important point is that people find things and for you this was not the case.

Inviting @yorik. What do you think?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:19 pm I have wiki edit rights but don't have access to modify the rest of the site. Otherwise I'd have fixed it already.
JFYI, if you have a GitHub account I can help you create a Pull Request to make changes to the website since we use for to manage the website content as well. Feel free to PM me if you do
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I also don't have a problem when we share info twice
Yep, the important thing is folks don't need to spend time hunting around. Multiple paths to the same info is probably a plus.

I came to the site looking to download the source code so Downloads looked like logical place to start.
Developer versions was the logical next step and I found a recent tarball. Looks good.

Then I'm stuck. It seems a bit daft to provide source without a link to build instructions.
I can help you create a Pull Request
Thanks but really I'm not going to jump through hoops to add one line with a link. I realise you need to restrict the web site changes to a small group. Someone from that group will hopefully add a link.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's the github repo for the website and what's the process to deploy from there?
saying it's fine the way it is and they have made a mistake if they can't find stuff. That can lead to edginess and not taking time to report problems and suggested improvements in the future.

Having a link to the build info on the same page as the download links which include source tarballs seems like a minimum to prevent people wasting time hunting around.
agreed
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

freman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:24 pm Thanks but really I'm not going to jump through hoops to add one line with a link. I realise you need to restrict the web site changes to a small group. Someone from that group will hopefully add a link.
'Hopium' gets little return on investment. But, nevertheless thanks for letting us know where you're at on this.
adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:28 pm what's the github repo for the website and what's the process to deploy from there?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage
All the .php files in that repo are part of the website. But when they get merged they are unstaged, there is no automatic mirroring between the repo and the website. Someone needs to manually push the changes to the FTP for that to happen.

Note to self: we should really improve that README.md file so it helps orient folks when they arrive to that repo what it does and how to contribute to it
waebbl

Post by waebbl »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:26 pm I understood the logic that to compile to look under contribute. Looking at downloads gives you the info how to obtain install packages and how to install.
I'm looking under contribute, if I need to know where to get the source tree, ready to contribute, together with repository specific instructions on how to configure the repo properly (adding hooks, git config, etc.) for ease of working with it.

A package maintainer like me or IIRC @freman as well, is mostly interested in a tarball for a specific version to package for the distribution. It's a natural guess to look for information on how to build the package from source in the same location. A download section might as well have ready to install binary packages, side by side with source tarballs, and information on how to install those prebuilt binary packages.

So installing a package might have a different meaning, from either a users view downloading a prebuilt binary package or a package maintainers view getting the source code and install it into a package.