New 0.19.1 installation hangs

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DaveGray65

New 0.19.1 installation hangs

Post by DaveGray65 »

Hi
I downloaded and installed Freecad 0.19.1 on my laptop today because Freecad 0.17 is annoyingly slow on the more complex parts.

The message shown in the attachment comes up when the newly installed software is opened.
Then, when OK is clicked:
1) the screen briefly goes black
2) the empty Freecad window reappears without the message box
3) the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" appears several times in a speech bubble at the lower right corner of the screen
4) the window hangs with the rotating circle

What would be a good way to get the new installation working?

When I last put a message on the forum, there was a button that picked up details about my computer to aid diagnosos but today I can't find the button so here's some stuff from the System information (there's loads more but where do I stop?):
- Windows 8.1
- version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
- Samsung ATVI Book 9 Lite laptop
- Model: 905S3G
- System Type: x64-pased PC
- RAM: 4GB
- HDD: 98.6
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: New 0.19.1 installation hangs

Post by adrianinsaval »

First off, 0.19.1 is not the latest stable release since 0.19.4 is out, anyways you should try if it works with latest dev release https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds specially considering there won't be further bugfix releases of 0.19, try both the conda and libpack versions as they use different libraries and one of them might work were the other failed.

The most common culprit for things like this are outdated graphics driver though so you should look into updating the drivers for your machine. Regarding the system info you posted the graphics card it has would've been more relevant and maybe the graphics driver version you are running. This forum AFAIK never had a button to get system info but there is a button in FreeCAD to get the version and library version information, you won't be able to access it if freecad doesn't launch though.

Note that I don't think you will get much of a performance improvement from upgrading to 0.19 or 0.20 (you will likely need a hardware upgrade for any meaningful performance boost) but you will get many good features and bugfixes so IMO it's still worth upgrading.
If your pc is underpowered and if you're up for that kind of stuff consider switching OS to something more lightweight (but don't expect miracles).
DaveGray65

Post by DaveGray65 »

I've followed up all of adrianinsaval's suggestions without success as follows:

1) I can't see the attachment to my initial post nor how I could open it so it's possible, with my lack of familiarity with submitting posts, that the attachment didn't make it onto the forum. Were others able to see and open the attachment? I've tried to attach it to this post.

2) In Windows device manager, I clicked "Update Driver software" for the AMD Radeon HD 8250 and got the message that the driver is up to date. I'm assuming this is the graphics device as its under "Display adapters". If I should be looking elsewhere please let me know.

3) I looked for the libpack version on the Github web site but libpack only appears to be associated with compiling the software myself. I wouldn't know where to start with that and view the prospect of a grusome learning curve with dread.

4) The most recent conda version for Windows is 0.19.2, which I downloaded and installed. This behaved as in my previous post for which I'd installed FreeCAD-0.19.1.a88db11-WIN-x64-installer-1.exe

5) I also tried installing FreeCAD-0.19.3-WIN-x64-portable.7z but that also failed as before.

6) All three of these versions that I've installed have displayed the "File does not exist! C:/:/assembly2/icons/workbenchicon.svg" error so how can I get past the absence of that file, which may be contributory to subsequent problems.

7) I should be able to get the version and library information from version 0.17, which is still working. I have made posts in the past that includes the information but can't now find the button to get it. Where is the button for that? The information is available from a post that I made in 2019 but, as Windows and other things have been updated since then I guess that information could be misleading.
Attachments
Freecad cant find file  .jpg
Freecad cant find file .jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 882 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the attachment was missing from the first post
DaveGray65 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:53 pm 2) In Windows device manager, I clicked "Update Driver software" for the AMD Radeon HD 8250 and got the message that the driver is up to date. I'm assuming this is the graphics device as its under "Display adapters". If I should be looking elsewhere please let me know.
This is not enough, windows doesn't always have the updates, go to the manufacturer (AMD) to see if there are updated drivers for that card. You did not specify what version of the driver you are running.
3) I looked for the libpack version on the Github web site but libpack only appears to be associated with compiling the software myself. I wouldn't know where to start with that and view the prospect of a grusome learning curve with dread.
There is a libpack to compile freecad and then there are binaries compiled using that libpack that you can download, try the binary compiled with the libpack normally identified by an "LP" somewhere in the filename and available at the same link I provided before, however since we're about to release 0.20 the actual latest libpack build is found here in the beta installer: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... /0.20beta1 sorry I wasn't clear enough in my previous post.
4) The most recent conda version for Windows is 0.19.2, which I downloaded and installed. This behaved as in my previous post for which I'd installed FreeCAD-0.19.1.a88db11-WIN-x64-installer-1.exe
The most recent conda version is for the 0.20 dev release and can be found at the link I provided in my previous post
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
6) All three of these versions that I've installed have displayed the "File does not exist! C:/:/assembly2/icons/workbenchicon.svg" error so how can I get past the absence of that file, which may be contributory to subsequent problems.
This is because assembly2 is an abandoned workbench and hasn't been updated in years so it probably doesn't work with python3, I recommend going into %APPDATA% and renaming the FreeCAD folder there to for example FreeCAD.old, this will reset all your config and workbenches next time you launch freecad, perhaps some incompatible addon is hanging freecad so this should be the first thing to try now.
7) I should be able to get the version and library information from version 0.17, which is still working. I have made posts in the past that includes the information but can't now find the button to get it. Where is the button for that? The information is available from a post that I made in 2019 but, as Windows and other things have been updated since then I guess that information could be misleading.
It's in Help->About->copy to clipboard but the information from your 0.17 version is useless, this information is specific to the freecad build that you are running.

Also try running freecad from cmd with the --write-log argument and post the logfile (located in %APPDATA%/FreeCAD I think) here, some of the pros here might be able to make sense of what it says.
DaveGray65

Post by DaveGray65 »

DaveGray65 wrote: ↑Wed May 18, 2022 3:53 pm
2) In Windows device manager, I clicked "Update Driver software" for the AMD Radeon HD 8250 and got the message that the driver is up to date. I'm assuming this is the graphics device as its under "Display adapters". If I should be looking elsewhere please let me know.

This is not enough, windows doesn't always have the updates, go to the manufacturer (AMD) to see if there are updated drivers for that card. You did not specify what version of the driver you are running.
Contacted AMD. The most recent graphics driver (2016) has been moved to the legacy area. As this suggests its not being coverd by Freecad regression testing I decided to buy a new laptop on which version 0.19.4 opens my files much faster.

Thanks for your help