FreeCad 0.20 on windows only runs as administrator

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCad 0.20 on windows only runs as administrator

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:00 am In my opinion Freecad should only install into C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\ if the user do not have Admin rights.
That's already the case AFAIK
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

When I chose "for me only" it did install into "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\".

I uninstalled completely (all versions and settings), rebooted, and reinstalled and still have this issue.

I also tried the fix from the other thread of allowing local\users to have full control of the FreeCAD directory but it did not help.

Tim
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

I also tried installing it to the d: drive, same issue.

This is the pop-up error I get when trying to launch:

GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

TWrecks wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:02 pm This is the pop-up error I get when trying to launch:

If you want to include an image you must load it directly into the message using the Attachments tab below the edit window. Links will not work.

[Correction] Image tag links (Insert image) will not work. URL tags will work.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Incorrect* links will not work, you need to use the direct url of the image (https://i.imgur.com/k1kP0qg.png), not of the imgur page, uploading directly to the forum is still better though as it is more likely to keep working in the future.
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

Thanks for fixing the image link.

I also tried the "portable" install and had the same issue, it also required admin rights to avoid aborting with the unknown runtime error.

Tim
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

does it work if you create a new user and run the application from it?
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

Hmm, yes running from another local login does work. I use a domain login though:(

Tim
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

something is up with your user then, windows 10 is weird (and likely 11 too) in the past I had many issues that I could only solve by making a new user. Don't know if that is your case or it's a bug in FreeCAD with you user type. Can you double check what user is listed as owner of your %APPDATA% and %APPDATA%/FreeCAD folders? What exactly is a domain user? Is it one of those were you can login with the same user on multiple PCs? Was the other user you tried also a domain user? @uwestoehr I think you work on a company that runs many windows machines right, do you also have a domain user were you can test FreeCAD?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

TWrecks wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:43 am When I chose "for me only" it did install into "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\".
I uninstalled completely (all versions and settings), rebooted, and reinstalled and still have this issue.
Reading the thread it is not clear to me what you issue is. You are logged in as admin, right? Then when you choose to install only for you, it is installed to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\" (according to the Windows guidelines)
What is wrong with this? Can't you start FreeCAD then (of course you then need to be logged in as admin).

(By the way, it is a bit strange that you logged in as admin but only install FreeCAD for you. The Admin account is not meant to use it as normal user.)