crash when I open a file

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Crossleyuk

Re: crash when I open a file

Post by Crossleyuk »

Hello Syres and All,

First of all thank you yet again for the ability to ask questions and learn a little as I go. Things have changed since your suggestion that something else looked to be wrong, which is what I was starting to ask myself. It looks like there was something else causing the problems. Now the following is very complicated, and I have no explanation but I wanted to let you know in case it makes any sense to you and it can offer any assistance to you. Sorry again!! :o

Two problems it seems:

1) A problem with my Norton Security system
2) A problem with my DELL D6000 docking station.

Strange I know but here is what I found.

1) I got a message from Norton Security that there was a problem with my installation and to remove and reinstall. This I did with the link they provided and my installed FreeCAD 0.17 would actually load after the re-install. But still not working properly. So, I uninstalled FreeCAD and Paraview and started again with FreeCAD 0.18. All went well and for the first time I could install and run FC 0.18 and it looked to be working.

2) After a day or so investigating the new installation FC 0.18 started to fail to run again and then I lost my two external monitor displays. So, I disconnected from my docking station and connected direct to my notebook HDMI. It worked fine. To now cut a long story short I reinstalled all the docking station firmware and restarted it and it connected to my notebook. All has been fine since then. I was loading my old model generated in FC 0.17 and it did not look like it always had,my created boundary conditions were not correct at all. So, I bit the bullet and re-build my model. This went great and the rebuilt model looks great now.

As I say, I'm sure this is only confirming the problems that I cannot explain but I just wanted to let you know. This is my last forum comment in this topic but I have new understanding problems with FC 0.18 so I'll move to my previous CFD Workbench and OpenFOAM topic.

Sorry for this confused post but I wanted to offer something with my thanks for letting me understand a little more how to progress. My CFD model is massively important to me and FC 0.18 is looking fantastic.
Syres
Veteran

Re: crash when I open a file

Post by Syres »

Glad you got it sorted and appreciate the feedback.