Windows 11 - This app can't run on your PC

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ExDes

Windows 11 - This app can't run on your PC

Post by ExDes »

FreeCAD was the of the first apps that I attempted to install on a new Dell Inspiron 14 running Windows 11. Coming from a linux background, I needed a windows machine for the one app that doesn't run on linux. The computer is brand new, fully updated, i7 processor, nvidia GeForce RTX graphics, 16GB ram, so resources should not be a problem. I downloaded FreeCAD-0.20.1-WIN-x64-installer-1.exe from the website and attempted to install. Install failed presentng the message This app can't run on your PC followed by To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher. It doesn't seem to be a problem that others have faced, and I am not that familiar with Windows. I did try playing with the compatibility settings, but that had no effect.

Any suggestions?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Windows 11 - This app can't run on your PC

Post by adrianinsaval »

corrupted download maybe? try redownloading or download one of the zipped versions https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.20.1 verify that the sha256 hash matches to know if you have a corrupted file
ExDes

Re: Windows 11 - This app can't run on your PC

Post by ExDes »

Yes, that was definitely it. The original file seems to have corrupted somehow. Re-downloaded the original file and all went well.
Thank-you for your suggestions!