Ticket #4014 - Finding a solution for the 'version.h' issue

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
looo

Re: Ticket #4014 - Finding a solution for the 'version.h' issue

Postby looo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 am

For Debian, we're not allowed to call out to the internet
I guess it should be possible to add the git commit info to the debianized source. So this is not really an issue.
please help with my conda-packaging efforts: https://liberapay.com/looooo/
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:32 pm

For Debian packaging, it would be sufficient to be able to just force a version via CMake flags so I could manually set e.g. 0.18.4 and so forth. A solution for the daily builds is a bit trickier.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
bgoodr

Postby bgoodr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:15 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:32 pm
For Debian packaging, ... A solution for the daily builds is a bit trickier.
Indeed. Given that difficulty, I speculate that you might discover that it is actually impossible to do for daily builds. If that is what is discovered, IMO, someone should temper the instructions in the IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help post that currently states:
NormandC wrote: Please do not attach a screen capture instead of posting the Help > About FreeCAD information from the clipboard.
to, in addition to the above, also indicate that for daily builds, describe all of the platform-specific commands needed to provide the relevant version info (e.g., example for Ubuntu/Debian-based distributions is at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 12#p343312).

I hope it doesn't come to that; I hope it is found that my speculation above is erroneous, and including some release/date time stamp into the About FreeCAD dialog box is viable even if the git commit hash value of the build is not possible to include.