FreeCAD and Raspberry Pi 4

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
dubstar-04

Re: FreeCAD and Raspberry Pi 4

Post by dubstar-04 »

Has anyone managed a successful build using Py3 / Qt4 ?

I seem to be getting issues with mismatched pyside and shiboken versions with py3 on Raspbian buster.

Thanks,

Dan
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

I didn't succeed tout compile with PY3/Qt4 successfully ( https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p340741
But maybe ones could try better than I did, with more skills.
My aim now is to try to compile with Py3/qt5, by using a downgraded Qt5 lib (qt5.7.1) following advices of w.mayer:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p340447
If some RPI4 owners are able to try this way before me they are welcome ;)

Edit2: after some hesitations (my memory tcheated myself) I have clarified this post by adding the link to Werner's advices.
Last edited by -alex- on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

-alex- wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:39 am I didn't succeed tout compile with PY3/Qt4 successfully ( https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p340741
But maybe ones could try better than I did, with more skills.
My aim now is to try to compile with Py3/qt5, by using a downgraded Qt5 lib (qt5.7.1) following advices of W.mayer.
If some RPI4 owners are able to try this way before me they are welcome ;)
Is the thought that earlier Qt versions will play better with the Pi and OpenGL?

I might be able to have a go. I don't have a PI but I bought a friend one for Christmas with the intention of him running FreeCAD on it.

He has installed VNC on it so I can access it remotely. Not ideal but I feel obligated to get it working since it was a gift.

Thanks,

Dan
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

dubstar-04 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:50 am Is the thought that earlier Qt versions will play better with the Pi and OpenGL?
Yes it is, maybe we will be lucky.

Edit2: modified accordingly to my previous post
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

FYI I have tried to install FreeCAD on ManjaroARM distro (thanks @jp willm for this information).
ManjaroARM works fine on RPI4, but FreeCAD 0.16 does not (as Papy told in french forum: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p356373)
Then I have tried to compile it on ManjaroARM, but no success. There is trouble with Cmake to create makefile.
I have installed dependencies accordingly to https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Compile ... Arch_Linux, Archlinux section, but maybe thoses instructions concernes x64 plateforms I assume....
Anyway, no success with ManjaroARM and FreeCAD, so I'm going back to Raspbian, then try to compile with QT5 downgraded packages...
Duesentrieb

Post by Duesentrieb »

Hi,
a friend uesed freecad in an old PC, but his PC crashed last week, now he searched for a new Hardware, but he is no rpi fan... But me ;-)
I think the rpi4 4gb could be the perfect hardware for him, but so far it seems to be difficult or maybe impossible to get freecad running on rpi4...
Or am i wrong?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

It's definitely not impossible but it is a little difficult for the time being.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Duesentrieb

Post by Duesentrieb »

I hoped for this answer, thanks.
Is there any suggestion when ther will be an stable Version?
I mean, is it in a week or in a year? I have no idea how fast the engineers need to fix problems usually.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Duesentrieb wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:45 am I hoped for this answer, thanks.
is it in a week or in a year?
You know the FreeCAD motto: "it's done when it's done"
BTW I would not expect a fix in a week as 0.19 release py3/Qt5 is concerned :roll:
However if you read this topic you can get FreeCAD 18.4 py2/Qt4 by compiling it yourself on RPI4. Needs 2 hours compiling, then it works 8-)
roweder

Post by roweder »

I have FreeCAD 0.19 working on the raspberry pi 4B4. I followed the compile on unix documentation for python 2 and Qt4. Here's everything I did:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install git build-essential cmake cmake-qt-gui cmake-curses-gui libtool lsb-release python3 swig libboost-dev libboost-date-time-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-graph-dev libboost-iostreams-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-python-dev libboost-regex-dev libboost-serialization-dev libboost-signals-dev libboost-thread-dev libcoin-dev libeigen3-dev libgts-bin libgts-dev libkdtree++-dev libmedc-dev libopencv-dev libproj-dev libvtk7-dev libx11-dev libxerces-c-dev libzipios++-dev qt4-dev-tools libqt4-dev libqt4-opengl-dev libqtwebkit-dev libshiboken-dev libpyside-dev pyside-tools python-dev python-matplotlib python-pivy python-ply python-pyside libocct*-dev occt-draw libsimage-dev doxygen libcoin-doc libspnav-dev checkinstall

git clone https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git freecad-source
Then I created the directory freecad-build in file manager

cd freecad-build

cmake ../freecad-source

cmake --build /home/pi/freecad-build
And now I have FreeCAD 0.19 and it seems to work so far, haven't tested it that thoroughly. I could see in the CMakeLists.txt file it looked like I could set "package version minor" to 18 instead of 19, but I didn't know if that would actually affect what it compiles or how it labels the compiled code. I didn't make any changes to that file before compiling. I also am not sure if the source code contains more than one version. It took a lot longer than 2 hours, maybe 6 hours. Now I can launch FreeCAD from /home/pi/freecad-build/bin/FreeCAD.

Edit: Tried with

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../freecad-source
instead of "cmake ../freecad-source", and it was FreeCAD 0.19 again.