freecad-daily builds: Ubuntu: Broken since 201907080347

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: freecad-daily builds: Ubuntu: Broken since 201907080347

Post by kkremitzki »

Yeah, in short I fixed the builds again, set them to daily, and then they broke only a few days after, so I turned them off again.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

vocx wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:13 pm My impression is that there are many things to check so it builds correctly, and Kremitzki hasn't had the time to look into it.
The issue is that @kremitzki uses a tool to generate the .install files. If a file is renamed or moved, the build will fail. If a new file is added it won't be packaged.
Because of Debian packaging rules we can't blindly install FreeCAD/Mod/Fem.
So we need to install
FreeCAD/Mod/Fem*.py
FreeCAD/Mod/Fem/femexamples/*.py
FreeCAD/Mod/Fem/femexamples/meshes/*.py
... etc

As @kremitzki has mentioned before, this is a tedious process, and not bullet proof if a new sub directory is created.

If anyone has your creates a salsa account I suggest making pull requests https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... ily/debian here.
The workbenches where more refacoring would be the first to attack. @kremitzki can decide if these changes should be applied to the stable release.

EDIT: @kremitzki posted at the same time. TL;DR we need to ease the maintenance for Kurt.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:07 pm EDIT: @kremitzki posted at the same time. TL;DR we need to ease the maintenance for Kurt.
Thanks. This should be mostly taken care of in the future by the merger of freecad-common and freecad-runtime, once the newly merged freecad-common.install is updated with appropriate wildcards. My plan is to knock that out to get the builds working again, but I have been occupied by other things.

For example, not sure if anyone noticed but freecad was removed from Debian Testing recently--I had to do a new upload to disable Python 2 because that removal is underway, and there was a regression in a package used in the buildchain I had never heard of, dwz, which is causing FreeCAD build failures on i386, s390x, and mipsel architectures. That bug has been upstreamed: https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=25109
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:18 pm Thanks. This should be mostly taken care of in the future by the merger of freecad-common and freecad-runtime, once the newly merged freecad-common.install is updated with appropriate wildcards. My plan is to knock that out to get the builds working again, but I have been occupied by other things.
The community could make pull requests for the wildcards, right? As you've mentioned this is tedious. Examine the directory structure from FreeCAD/master for whatever WB and make a pull request? You're time is better spent on the stuff we can't do.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

No need, I found what should be an easy future-proof solution and will be starting a build momentarily that should keep things running quite a while.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Thanks for the answers guys. My concern ATM was mainly that the current build has this very problematic bug that FC crashes as soon as a file is opened through the dialog. Not a good build to live with. :)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

openBrain wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:35 am Thanks for the answers guys. My concern ATM was mainly that the current build has this very problematic bug that FC crashes as soon as a file is opened through the dialog. Not a good build to live with. :)
As far as I'm aware that issue is also present when built from source, right? So then it's not really a daily build problem (if that is the case), but since they are now fixed, as soon as the problem itself is fixed, then the daily builds will pick it up the next day and distribute it as they should.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:09 pm As far as I'm aware that issue is also present when built from source, right? So then it's not really a daily build problem (if that is the case), but since they are now fixed, as soon as the problem itself is fixed, then the daily builds will pick it up the next day and distribute it as they should.
The bug has been fixed in sources on 2019/10/10 (IIRC). ;) So it lives in the master for less than 1 or 2 days, but is now present in the daily PPA for more than 2 weeks. ;)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

openBrain wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:57 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:09 pm As far as I'm aware that issue is also present when built from source, right? So then it's not really a daily build problem (if that is the case), but since they are now fixed, as soon as the problem itself is fixed, then the daily builds will pick it up the next day and distribute it as they should.
The bug has been fixed in sources on 2019/10/10 (IIRC). ;) So it lives in the master for less than 1 or 2 days, but is now present in the daily PPA for more than 2 weeks. ;)
There is a new build now so it should be gone.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

:+1: Will upgrade and check. ;)