OCC7.4 Released

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: OCC7.4 Released

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:50 pm Btw.: https://github.com/conda-forge/occt-feedstock/pull/31 But I will wait with updating occt-depending packages (smesh, netgen, freecad) to occt7.4.
Hi! This is the friendly automated conda-forge-linting service.

I just wanted to let you know that I linted all conda-recipes in your PR (recipe) and found it was in an excellent condition.
Awesome as always, great job looo :D
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:51 pm Yes, I did yesterday (on Windows) and only had to make one change to PreCompiled.h in src\Mod\PartDesign\Gui. I'll post it later today.
Here it is:
Occt-7-4.txt
(573 Bytes) Downloaded 65 times

Code: Select all

src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/PreCompiled.h | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/PreCompiled.h b/src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/PreCompiled.h
index 349c78718..198f84c2e 100644
--- a/src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/PreCompiled.h
+++ b/src/Mod/PartDesign/Gui/PreCompiled.h
@@ -70,6 +70,7 @@
 #include <Bnd_Box.hxx>
 #include <BRepBndLib.hxx>
 #include <BRepAdaptor_Curve.hxx>
+//#include <BRepAdaptor_Surface.hxx> //necessary since OCC 7.4
 #include <BRepMesh_IncrementalMesh.hxx>
 #include <BRep_Tool.hxx>
 #include <GeomLib_IsPlanarSurface.hxx>
Last edited by uwestoehr on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The release notes mention multi-threading and boolean op improvements. Once we have a build it might be nice to do some benchmarking and see how those improvements impact things.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I have seen some performance related graphs in release notes. Yesterday i created some Draft Arrays, and didn't notice much difference there, replicating geometry multiple times. Today i have run a couple of benchmark tests, for fuse and cut. Unfortunately, at least not ATM, i can not confirm any noticeable speed gains. Maybe some speed improvements are related to:
  • Option to suppress history generation to speed up Boolean Operations
  • Option to simplify the result of Boolean Operation
But there is no technical description, on what that is about. AFAIK, we don't generate history and simplified result of BOA, that likely isn't something, one would in general use, maybe for some special use cases. At least that is how i read it. Looking back, from OCE times and up. BOA performance did constantly improve, was noticeable and measurable, multiple arguments support has been added.

In short, OCCT 7.4, compared to OCCT 7.3, i don't see much speed improvements ATM, regarding BOA in FreeCAD.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I have updated occt package for conda-forge to version 7.4. But it won't get used as long as we not increase the pinned version here:
https://github.com/conda-forge/conda-fo ... l#L496L497

As there are also other packages depending on occt it makes sense to do this with a "migration". This way a bot will automatically create PR for all occt-depending packages. I guess we should start with this migration after the 0.19 release (if there is one).
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

looo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:17 pm As there are also other packages depending on occt it makes sense to do this with a "migration". This way a bot will automatically create PR for all occt-depending packages. I guess we should start with this migration after the 0.19 release (if there is one).
Why do we need to wait at least half a year until FC 0.19 comes out? OCC 7.4 might not bring that many improvements but it seems they fixed some issued regarding Boolean operations. Thus I would like to use it for FC 0.19.

Another question: At the moment I can only compile FC using the LibPack. I want to try out to build FC on Windows also using Conda. How is this done?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:57 pm Why do we need to wait at least half a year until FC 0.19 comes out? OCC 7.4 might not bring that many improvements but it seems they fixed some issued regarding Boolean operations. Thus I would like to use it for FC 0.19.
For sure you can update the necessary dependencies and report back if everything works. I just want to enjoy a little bit of stability. Reading the post from @triplus I don't see a reason to update.
If occt7.4 and occt7.3 are binary compatible, updating is for sure no problem.

edit: no, occt7.4 and occt7.3 are definitely not binary compatible. So in my eyes starting the migration after 0.19 release makes the most sense. There are other more important topics currently.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

looo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 pm edit: no, occt7.4 and occt7.3 are definitely not binary compatible. So in my eyes starting the migration after 0.19 release makes the most sense. There are other more important topics currently.
OK.

What about my question regarding Conda? how can I compile FC on Windows using Conda?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:13 pm
looo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 pm edit: no, occt7.4 and occt7.3 are definitely not binary compatible. So in my eyes starting the migration after 0.19 release makes the most sense. There are other more important topics currently.
OK.

What about my question regarding Conda? how can I compile FC on Windows using Conda?
Please search for conda-build or conda in general in this forum. This topic is about OCCT7.4.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

looo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:52 pm Please search for conda-build or conda in general in this forum. This topic is about OCCT7.4.
I asked you because I could not find a step-by-step instruction (I searched of course already the Forum and the Wiki) and I see that you are familiar with Conda. Thus it would be nice if you could give me a pointer to an instruction?