OpenSCAD WB: Move in to FreeCAD-addons?

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

OpenSCAD WB: Move in to FreeCAD-addons?

Post by Kunda1 »

OpenSCAD looks like a pure python workbench (source)
How do folks feel about moving it out of core and making it an external workbench ?

Do other workbenches rely on it?
I see it has a dependency that comes bundled with it, PLY (Python Lex-Yacc) Version 3.4
Is this dependency something we can also offload?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: OpenSCAD WB: Move in to FreeCAD-addons?

Post by keithsloan52 »

If it is made into an external workbench then as the author of importCSG.py which started the whole thing off and being somebody who does the occasional fix when bugs are found I would like direct access to any repository that is created on Github for it.

Don't have any time to restructure for addon workbench.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:11 pm Do other workbenches rely on it?
Draft WB used to include many Openscad functions...
I also found Openscad useful in many occasions both to use its internal functions and for direct modelling...
Moreover many OpenSCAD users are counting on FC to convert OS designs to STEP format...

...But why do you want to move this out of FC core?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

keithsloan52 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:51 pm If it is made into an external workbench then as the author of importCSG.py which started the whole thing off and being somebody who does the occasional fix when bugs are found I would like direct access to any repository that is created on Github for it.

Don't have any time to restructure for addon workbench.
Of course, just asking here.
easyw-fc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:09 pm ...But why do you want to move this out of FC core?
The idea is to make the FreeCAD footprint smaller, diminish the size of the AppImage. Not trying to rattle cages here.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:09 pm Draft WB used to include many Openscad functions...
When, what?

I've been looking at Draft for the past year, and I don't remember a single instance of OpenSCAD in the current code.

Draft seems to be entirely based on the functions provided by the Part Workbench, Part_Part2DObject in particular, and some Coin.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 pm The idea is to make the FreeCAD footprint smaller, diminish the size of the AppImage. Not trying to rattle cages here.
OpenSCAD folder:
16 items, totalling 1,3MB

and this is including OpenSCAD dependencies.
This seems a very little gain for removing a standard wb widely used.
vocx wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:09 pm Draft WB used to include many Openscad functions...
When, what?
I've been looking at Draft for the past year, and I don't remember a single instance of OpenSCAD in the current code.
Draft seems to be entirely based on the functions provided by the Part Workbench, Part_Part2DObject in particular, and some Coin.
you have searched too little.
Probably you have joined this forum too early to have a long memory of FC code.

Anyway the point is why removing a used WB out of FC code? Who is going to take care of its code then? And for which advantage?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 am you have searched too little.
I would appreciate a proper answer, not just an indirect reference. Also, you say "used to". Does that mean OpenSCAD is not used any more in Draft?
Anyway the point is why removing a used WB out of FC code? Who is going to take care of its code then? And for which advantage?
I think the point Kunda tries to make is that OpenSCAD doesn't seem to be a widely used workbench. It is certainly not developed a lot now. It provides some backend functions that not many people use in workbenches like Arch, TechDraw, or PartDesign, which are in fact used by many. So, removing OpenSCAD won't necessarily save space, but it will result in a cleaner, less cluttered FreeCAD. Externalizing Ship and Plot has the same effect. These workbenches that aren't in heavy development can live outside the main source tree, and be installed separately if required. And keithsloan seems to be willing to maintain OpenSCAD, so why not?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 am that OpenSCAD doesn't seem to be a widely used workbench.
This is just an opinion.

OpenSCAD is a widely used sw.
OpenSCAD WB is the only option to get STEP file format for OpenSCAD file format.
OpenSCAD WB is a connection between a widely used CAD sw and FreeCAD.
Those are just facts.
vocx wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 am These workbenches that aren't in heavy development can live outside the main source tree, and be installed separately if required. And keithsloan seems to be willing to maintain OpenSCAD, so why not?
An external user willing to maintain an external WB means nothing compared to have the code in the main branch. The user can maintain, if needed, the WB also if it is inside the main branch.

Anyway I don't see any point/gain in defeaturing FreeCAD from useful WBs. And that's for sure my opinion.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Do other workbenches rely on it?
Yes, the Mesh wb uses the boolean operations of OpenSCAD because they are quite robust. The Mesh module has its own implementation of boolean operations too but they are quite fragile and fail in many cases.

Although the OpenSCAD wb has no active maintainer I would still leave it in master.

However, Ship and Plot are orphaned now for many years and there are probably not that many people using it. So, I think they should go to FreeCAD-addons.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

wmayer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:21 am
Although the OpenSCAD wb has no active maintainer I would still leave it in master.
Well I do try and fix when people raise bugs.