Appimage file problem

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Gary R

Appimage file problem

Post by Gary R »

I would like to use the latest FreeCAD 0.19 package but every time I try to download the .appimage file I get:

Code: Select all

Signature vilidation problem: Appimage not signed
Does the developer need to fix this or is there something that I can do from my end?

Gary R
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Appimage file problem

Post by openBrain »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38641
Shouldn't be a problem to download though...
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

I read through the topics shown in the previous post. The bottom line for me was that they haven't fixed this for 0.19 and may not do so for some time. Am I wrong? Regardless, I'm still stuck. How do I get a copy of 0.19 ?

Gary R.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

You can just download and run the AppImage. If you can't download it, this is more an OS setting that you have to change. But as you didn't tell us about your installation, we can't really help further.
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Sorry, I got too focused on my problem and neglected the information.

OS- Debian Buster (10)
KDE plasma 5.14.5 desktop
KDE Frameworks 5.54.0
Qt 5.11.3
Kernel Version 4.19.0-9-amd64
Processors 4 x AMD FX-4350 Quad-Core
Memory 16GB

I just tried to run the FreeCAD 0.18 .appimage (which I already manually installed) and got the same results. Maybe it is unique to my setup but I have no idea where to start.

Note: I had no trouble installing the AppImageUpdate package nor downloading the .appimage package. It's only when I try to update that the signature problem arises .

Gary R.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Gary.

That message shouldn't prevent you from updating or using the AppImage. It just informs you the AppImage is not signed.
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

Thank you for you help.

I was totally confused as to how .appimage files worked. I kept trying to start the files with my usual icon and of course kept getting the 0.18 version. After carefully going back through the documentation - what a concept - i finally realized how the things are supposed to work. After I right clicked on the file in my download directory, marked it as executable and clicking on it - lo and behold - I finally got 0.19 running, I still have a couple of questions:

First, do I have to leave the file in the download directory or can I move it somewhere else>

Second, is there any way to setup a desktop logo that will start the package?

Thanks all for you help.

Gary R
Sometimes I feel so dumb.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Gary R wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 am First, do I have to leave the file in the download directory or can I move it somewhere else
move it whereever you want.
Second, is there any way to setup a desktop logo that will start the package?
You can create a symbolic link and depending on your system I'm pretty sure that you can attach an icon as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Gary.

Yes, the AppImage needs an executable bit set and you can move it around freely, as @chrisb has mentioned.
Gary R wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 am Second, is there any way to setup a desktop logo that will start the package?
Due to the fact you don't install anything, desktop integration doesn't work out of the box. There are solutions available, such as:

https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher

If you would only want to add a launcher, you could create a .desktop file manually:

nano $HOME/.local/share/applications/freecad.desktop
Add content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=FreeCAD
Icon=/home/user_name/FreeCAD.svg
Exec=/home/user_name/FreeCAD.AppImage
And in general i would recommend, for anybody using an AppImage, to familiarize themselves with the concept of updating.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/AppImage

There are two AppImage update tools available and best to test and select the one that suits your needs the best. AppImage update tool will only download the "delta changes". I recommend running it once per week, as the development AppImage gets updated once a week, usually over the weekend.

P.S. Note that, due to the fact the actual AppImage gets created and deployed daily, there is some "packaging noise" added and the updater therefore will find updates on "daily basis" and will download a small chunk of data, but that doesn't actually update anything FreeCAD code vise.