Discussion: State of the snap (Snap Packaging)

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Discussion: State of the snap (Snap Packaging)

Post by kkremitzki »

Isn't it LGPL2+ (or later, i.e. it can also be distributed under LGPL2.1 or LGPL3)?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:30 pm Isn't it LGPL2+ (or later, i.e. it can also be distributed under LGPL2.1 or LGPL3)?
I think it can be distributed as LGPL3 (any future version, in fact), yes, but it seems to me a bit misleading in this case. If we want to talk about the project itself, it is LGPL2.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
ppd

Post by ppd »

vocx wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:20 am I checked the Snapcraft store and it seems that FreeCAD is listed as LGPL3. It should be LGPL2. The difference is important.
I'm not involved with the upstream snap, so that's a task for vejmarie.
Try FreeCAD from the Snap Store: Stable releases (in latest/stable) & daily builds (in latest/edge). Supports installing additional python packages via pip!
vejmarie

Re: Addon manager not working in v0.19 beta snap

Post by vejmarie »

JulianStirling wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:17 am I have installed the beta of v0.19 as I wanted to play with Assembly 4. I am on Kubuntu 20.04 so I can't the freecad-daily PPA. So I have installed with snap.

When I open the add-on manager I can see all the packages, but if I click to "Install selected" the program hangs at "Cloning module". There is no output in the terminal.

A clue as to what it might be is if I go to the macro tab in the addon manager it tells me:
"Something went wrong with the Git Macro Retrieval, possibly the Git executable is not in the path"

Git is definitely on the PATH, I use it every day from the terminal. Perhaps this is a snap sandboxing issue? I don't really understand snap, I have tried to avoid the things in the past, but it is becoming more difficult.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21777 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 478823b90967a9b76796c64f74b8e3a5440150fa
Python version: 3.5.2
Qt version: 5.5.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Mod Edit: merged this thread from another.
Can you check in your home directory if you have a .snap directory ? If yes what are the write permissions ? I can install Assembly4 with the snap (I am using it with my build for CADCloud).
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

JulianStirling wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:17 am I have installed the beta of v0.19 as I wanted to play with Assembly 4. I am on Kubuntu 20.04 so I can't the freecad-daily PPA. So I have installed with snap.

When I open the add-on manager I can see all the packages, but if I click to "Install selected" the program hangs at "Cloning module". There is no output in the terminal.

A clue as to what it might be is if I go to the macro tab in the addon manager it tells me:
"Something went wrong with the Git Macro Retrieval, possibly the Git executable is not in the path"

Git is definitely on the PATH, I use it every day from the terminal. Perhaps this is a snap sandboxing issue? I don't really understand snap, I have tried to avoid the things in the past, but it is becoming more difficult.

Can you check in your home directory if you have a .snap directory ? If yes what are the write permissions ? I can install Assembly4 with the snap (I am using it with my build for CADCloud).
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Just updated it.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

JulianStirling

Post by JulianStirling »

The .snap dir is owned by my user account with 700 permissions, the only file inside is warnings.json. The snap also cannot open files from an external drive. I have given up with it, as Ubuntu pushes onto snap more and more I am simply looking for an exit from Ubuntu.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

JulianStirling wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:19 pm as Ubuntu pushes onto snap more and more I am simply looking for an exit from Ubuntu.
20.04 is working on the daily PPA now.
"fight the good fight"
JulianStirling

Post by JulianStirling »

Fantastic! Thanks!