Building Debian package

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
mfraz74

Building Debian package

Post by mfraz74 »

Tried following the instructions on how to build a Debian package on the wiki, but it fails as there is no Debian folder in the package folder.
Seems to have been removed in 0.18.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Building Debian package

Post by adrianinsaval »

I think you are supposed to use this repo: https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/freecad not the main FreeCAD repo from github
MaximP

Post by MaximP »

This question is still very relevant. Source code on Salsa is pretty outdated, so I'd like to know if it's possible to package a deb file using the code from Github.
Last edited by MaximP on Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

MaximP wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:56 pm This question is still very relevant. Source code on Salsa is pretty outdated, so I'd like to know if it's possible to package a deb file using the code from the Github.
Of course you can build a deb package from sources. Receipt is publicly accessible on Salsa.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

MaximP wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:56 pm This question is still very relevant. Source code on Salsa is pretty outdated, so I'd like to know if it's possible to package a deb file using the code from the Github.
The FreeCAD PPA uses a "recipe" https://code.launchpad.net/~freecad-mai ... dual-build
Basically it uses the Debian folder from the https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/freecad repo and nests that with the current source.
Which salsa branch to use depends on your distro/version.
"fight the good fight"
MaximP

Post by MaximP »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:20 pm
The FreeCAD PPA uses a "recipe" https://code.launchpad.net/~freecad-mai ... dual-build
Basically it uses the Debian folder from the https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/freecad repo and nests that with the current source.
Which salsa branch to use depends on your distro/version.
openBrain wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 pm
Of course you can build a deb package from sources. Receipt is publicly accessible on Salsa.
Thanks for your assistance, but I have one more problem. dpkg-checkbuilddeps reports that libvtk9-dev is required for building a package. Libvtk9-dev depends on libgl2ps-dev and libvtk9, however libgl2ps-dev and libvtk9 depend on different versions of libgl2ps1.4 (1.4.0 and 1.4.2 respectively). This creates an endless circle of broken dependencies. If libgl2ps1.4 version would've been specified right in the filename (i.e. libgl2ps1.4.0 or libgl2ps1.4.2) then I would've simply created a link to a newer library with the name of an old one in hopes that it would work. I couldn't find any solution to this problem and need help.

Edit: I use LMDE4 i368 which is based on Debian buster
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The vtk9 build dependency is only suitable for newer releases. I would suggest editing debian/control and replacing libvtk9-dev with libvtk7-dev.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:34 am The vtk9 build dependency is only suitable for newer releases. I would suggest editing debian/control and replacing libvtk9-dev with libvtk7-dev.
Sorry to hijack a bit, may you know why daily PPA is stuck for Ubuntu 21.04 ? Thx
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

MaximP wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:56 pm This question is still very relevant. Source code on Salsa is pretty outdated, so I'd like to know if it's possible to package a deb file using the code from Github.
Notice daily PPA is now up-to-date except Ubuntu 21.04. ;)
mfraz74

Post by mfraz74 »

openBrain wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:07 am
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:34 am The vtk9 build dependency is only suitable for newer releases. I would suggest editing debian/control and replacing libvtk9-dev with libvtk7-dev.
Sorry to hijack a bit, may you know why daily PPA is stuck for Ubuntu 21.04 ? Thx
I don't think it will be updated for 21.04 as that version of Ubuntu is no longer supported.