Windows Builds (LP 12.5.4 and Conda) Possible Surplus Dlls

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Windows Builds (LP 12.5.4 and Conda) Possible Surplus Dlls

Post by sgrogan »

bernd wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm We should get back these dlls as soon as possible. CalculiX is the solver of FEM. Without CalculiX FEM does not work at all.
Syres wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:04 pm What does this mean? Does it mean Chris can not put back these dlls?

Yes, the Dll's should be put back hence the statement regarding the workaround in place, sorry for not being clearer.
They should be back in 0.20.25452 https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
The MYSTRAN stuff should also be there.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Syres wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:35 am I'm sure we can find a solution where both binaries can share a specific set of dll's but it's going to need me to carry out some rigorous testing and even if I can get a solution then it would need @bernd to sign off on it.
bernd wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm Without CalculiX FEM does not work at all.
I think this all comes down to the search order for the .dll's

Now, we place the third party executables and associated .dll's in bin so FreeCAD finds them.
What if, for the Win distribution, we create a "ThirdPartyEXE" directory as sibling to bin? Place the executables and their associated .dll's here.
Then add this directory as a "common installation location" to the FReeCAD FEM code for Win?

I think this would isolate the dll's, and the 3rd party .exe would find them first because they are in the same directory?

My preference is still to have the user "install" these third party programs and set the Path in preferences, but I understand this is hard for a normal user which is why we provide them as a convenience in the bundle. They are not part of FreeCAD proper.

What do you guys think?
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

In case of FEM ...
At least gmsh and ccx should be delivered with FreeCAD IMHO.

All other solver could be omitted and if the user would like to have them, he need to install them himself. Netherless I would be happy if they would be delivered with FreeCAD.

Place them in a separate subdirectory in bin would work fine for me. I would adapt the standard search path to the binary.