Chocolatey Package Immutable

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
redbaron2

Chocolatey Package Immutable

Post by redbaron2 »

Hi All,
I going to ask if it is indeed possible for the powers that be for FreeCAD (GitHub) to answer why a change was made for the links?
I will start with back when version 0.19.x was being released. One of these GitHub maintainers thought it proper to add -1, 1-, or even 1 before the extensions of the released FreeCAD links. This would have been fine, but the updater for the Chocolatey FreeCAD package failed to catch these changes. This has caused grief and sorrow for those of the FreeCAD community casting a very bad light on the Chocolatey FreeCAD package {These packages are immutable}.

Possible Solution
If it could be possible to rename these older links and removing the -1, 1-, or even 1 from them. The Chocolatey package could be used again by the FreeCAD community.
Thanks for the assistance. :)

Secondary Question:
The builds moving forward will be x64 ONLY?

Thanks again
RB
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Chocolatey Package Immutable

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:02 amHi All,
This is on me. The issue/excuse is that the installer changed but not the underlying FreeCAD version.
I needed to change the filename, which is the same as the link to distinguish between the two.
I don't have an excuse for not changing this in a consistent way, We should probably establish a protocol.

I think the changes were some patches to the dependencies that don't get caught by FreeCAD's "About FreeCAD" The SHA changed as well.

I'm against distributing two different installers with the same "name/link", but I'm open to suggestions how to improve this going forward.

Apologies @redbarron2 for taking so long to respond, I appreciate your work spreading FreeCAD.
"fight the good fight"
redbaron2

Re: Chocolatey Package Immutable

Post by redbaron2 »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 pm Apologies @redbarron2 for taking so long to respond, I appreciate your work spreading FreeCAD.
Thanks, I guess I will have to lean harder on the Chocolatey Core about re-updating the current build of 0.19.2.x

I have since fixed the updater to catch your unique naming scheme. Thanks for the heads-up, and I hope that we (both) can get this package updated for those that use Chocolatey.