Official Snap package dedicated forum thread

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

Official Snap package dedicated forum thread

Post by Kunda1 »

Heads-up, the decision has been made to adopt freecad-ppd as the official snap package. @ppd's work on the unofficial snap package has opened up the possibilities to not only run nightly 'edge' builds for testing and feedback but also to build experimental snaps from open PRs [1] for users to quickly test. This will be invaluable for FC development moving forward

Acknowledgements
I want to thank @vejmarie the previous official snap maintainer for all the work invested and the maintainership.
I'd like to thank @ppd for stepping up, initiating a lot of work to build an unofficial snap, and subsequently revealing more gems that Snap packages have to offer and aiding FreeCAD development and distribution.

Thank y'all very much!

[1] https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... 1119665287
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ppd

Re: Official Snap package dedicated forum thread

Post by ppd »

The freecad-ppd snap will be retired; a dialog will pop up and guide users to its successor:
Screenshot from 2022-05-15 12-47-37.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-15 12-47-37.png (31.65 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
Try FreeCAD from the Snap Store: Stable releases (in latest/stable) & daily builds (in latest/edge). Supports installing additional python packages via pip!
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

ppd wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:36 am The freecad-ppd snap will be retired...
Thank you!
Does this mean one has to un-install FreeCAD-ppd?
before re-installing Freecad snap?
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
ppd

Post by ppd »

bambuko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:10 am Does this mean one has to un-install FreeCAD-ppd?
before re-installing Freecad snap?
No, the snaps are completely independent of each other. Retiring boils down to hiding it in the store and at some point stopping releasing updates to it. You can leave it installed indefinitely if you wish.
Try FreeCAD from the Snap Store: Stable releases (in latest/stable) & daily builds (in latest/edge). Supports installing additional python packages via pip!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't see a benefit in keeping freecad-ppd installed though.
Checking the https://snapcraft.io/freecad page I see Kunda1 is mentioned as publisher, wouldn't it be better to create and organization account that is accessible by more than one person from FPA or other maintainers? Or we might end in the same situation as with the vejmarie published snap.
@yorik is this something the FPA could take care of? sound like exactly the type of thing it was created for

Also, thanks to everyone involved! This is good news
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Indeed. It was my bad. I misinterpreted an instruction that @ppd gave me and instead of creating an org account.Ii added it under my own. Now I can't create a separate account since I'm already signed up as a developer. So @yorik do you mind creating one? (Account should be 'FreeCAD' I can transfter ownership over to you.

Edit: cancel clear. I was able to create a freecad-org account and transferred the snap to it. So that is fixed now. There are still more steps to do before we go 'Live' though.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Awesome, thanks Kunda! Is there someone else with access to that account? I'm guessing the github repo for building the snap will be cloned in the FreeCAD account too, please post a link here once that is done, I'm guessing ppd will be given write access to that repo?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:07 pm Awesome, thanks Kunda! Is there someone else with access to that account? I'm guessing the github repo for building the snap will be cloned in the FreeCAD account too, please post a link here once that is done, I'm guessing ppd will be given write access to that repo?
Yes, https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-snap.
Indeed, @ppd has access and so does @vejmarie
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

do they also have access to the freecad-org account in snapcraft? who else? Just for clarity and transparency so we know who we can contact in the future if needed.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm do they also have access to the freecad-org account in snapcraft? who else? Just for clarity and transparency so we know who we can contact in the future if needed.
Yorik and myself have access to the snapcraft account.
Yorik, kkremitzki, vejmarie, ppd, and myself are also collaborators on the snaps