Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

Post by Kunda1 »

The PPA is needing maintenance and an update especially for the upcoming v0.20 release. We need volunteers to help keep the PPA working that entails:
* Responding to bug reports filed on launchpad, forum, githubetc...
* Responding to notices from other maintainers or FC devs/triagers regarding packaging issues/quirks
* Opening/monitoring bugs to/in upstream repos especially in the Ubuntu/Debian ecosystem

I'd like to acknowledge the current maintainer kkremitzki, has done a great job + also joining the Debian Science team and helping to keep 3rdbparty deps up-to-date in the Debian ecosystem that trickles down to many other derivatives. And, we need more help.

Please respond to this thread if you have interest in this volunteer effort. Thank you!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

Post by adrianinsaval »

Until someone steps up it might be better to remove at least the 22.04 builds, people are wasting their time trying to run it
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

Did you ever find new PPA Packager as here not much discussion about it.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Not yet :(
CC @yorik
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I have no idea where to look... Basically what we need is someone to volunteer to take on the PPA. But not sure how to make that person appear :)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:03 pm The PPA is needing maintenance and an update especially for the upcoming v0.20 release. We need volunteers to help keep the PPA working
Are we sure we need PPAs ? I've never liked them, too unreliable. FreeCAD already has AppImages, can be quite easily compiled from source ... what benefit would PPA give ? I vote for dropping them entirely: it's better to do few things well than many things badly.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

+1 given the current state, they were useful for people running ubuntu when they worked well, now we even have the snap and flatpak if you don't like the inconvenience of the appimage. It just doesn't look like it's worth the trouble maintaining packages for 4 versions of ubuntu at a time (I don't run ubuntu so there is some bias here).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Aren't snap packages integrated in the ubuntu app center now? In that case, indeed are PPAs still needed?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:54 pm Aren't snap packages integrated in the ubuntu app center now? In that case, indeed are PPAs still needed?
There is a subset of users who have an aversion to Snap packaging. So I'd not give up on the PPA at all.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »