Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

Post by adrianinsaval »

IMO that's another point in favor of disabling ppa if it can't even make usable binaries.
Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:05 pm There is a subset of users who have an aversion to Snap packaging.
A lot of those aren't using ubuntu exactly because of that though so the subset in question is even smaller. I too dislike snaps, luckily there is also flatpak, appimage and conda available, users are free to chose and if none those seem suitable they can compile locally or are welcome to step up and maintain the ppa, in the meantime it might be better to not offer a broken and unmaintained package IMO.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:59 pm Case in point via @wandererfan https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69858
As I understand it, the Launchpad processing provides both the PPA and the packages that are used in Debian based distributions other than Ubuntu.

The PPA for the stable release is not required IF the version in the Ubuntu repositories is correct, which has not been the case historically. The PPA for the daily development version COULD be retired if the AppImage, Snap, Flatpack, etc versions are a reliable and timely alternative.

AppImage and Snap have worked for me when I've used them, but since I mostly use local builds, I am not a qualified judge.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In any case, the whole process of packaging FreeCAD is heavy and very time-consuming. And this multiplies by each platform "we" (whoever that is :) ) support. So supporting another platform is something not easy nor automatic. I would say our primary goal is what we already have: We offer one "preferred" way for windows, mac and linux. The rest is more like icing on the cake... If we can, we do it of course, but I don't think we are failing if we can´t.

What about starting by creating an issue that describes the "job" as best as we can, then we try to lure in interested volunteers? *EDIT* Forget that, just saw @wandererfan 's other post now. Great!!
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

As there is no long line of persons to make PPA. I could start doing them but I have to learn little bit more how to compile on Launchpad as I'm more aware of using Debian Salsa and OBS (openSUSE build system). I'm oldschool user and prefer more PPA over SNAP (All though SNAP is also nice but there is already AppImage.). I already build my own RPM version of FreeCAD (as I like to use some libs that are not on openSUSE package) so I know it's very big and hard to get right.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Nice, @illuusio! Do you have github account ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Is there a repo on github where one can evaluate the ppa process and make PRs?
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:46 pm Nice, @illuusio! Do you have github account ?
Yes, Same name as my nick here.
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:19 pm Is there a repo on github where one can evaluate the ppa process and make PRs?
If there is not there should be or main repo should contain debian directory but that could be too heavy to maintain.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@yorik do you know where the PPA folk stored their git repos (is it on github or what?)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:40 am @yorik do you know where the PPA folk stored their git repos (is it on github or what?)
There is a mirror of our FreeCAD code on launchpad: https://git.launchpad.net/~freecad-main ... it/freecad but I believe it's automatically done by launchpad...

BTW @Kunda1 do you have a ubuntu/launchpad account? If yes tell me and I'll make you an admin there so you can add people, etc