Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
yorik
Founder

Re: Volunteer Packagers Needed for the PPA

Post by yorik »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:20 pm The debian dir from the first gets inserted into the second for the daily build.
Wow, that's nice wizardry :) Indeed it really makes these LP builds something pretty polished then and probably better integrated than snaps. Makes sense to keep it running indeed...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't know about that, the snap process I found easier to understand than this and more transparent since it can all be seen on the github repo and it's easy to propose changes, here I still don't know what the exact build steps are or where I can find them, how is it configured or how to propose changes.

The mere fact that the package has been broken for months but still nobody seems to understand how the process actually works or how it may be fixed suggest it's not that polished or very well integrated.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

you have a point there :)
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:50 pm I don't know about that, the snap process I found easier to understand than this and more transparent since it can all be seen on the github repo and it's easy to propose changes, here I still don't know what the exact build steps are or where I can find them, how is it configured or how to propose changes.

The mere fact that the package has been broken for months but still nobody seems to understand how the process actually works or how it may be fixed suggest it's not that polished or very well integrated.
Launchpad ain't simpliest tool. But I'll take serious a look at it next week when I have time (now just tried to recover my knownledge from the past about how receipe works) to make it work again. PPA and SNAP does not compete and they have different use cases and users. I admit I'm old school user and find deb install better suited for my workflow and again I'm not against SNAP packages as they seems to be the future what people want.

Question about is it polished and integrated I don't understand as it's kind of native way to install things to Ubuntu. There is good Debian support so I don't see why it should be dropped. If Launchpad is too hard to use I suggest we could try to OBS (openSUSE Build Service) as it can build all needed distros in one place including Ubuntu and Debian (Fedora, Redhat and Arch) but again receipes are not Voodoo they are fairly simple when you get down how tool works.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

When I looked at the Debian folder it seemed like an unnecessarily complicated system but that's beside the point and out of our control. I too prefer native packages over snap and I expect a lot of people think the same, as long as somebody trustworthy is willing to maintain it it should be kept.
illuusio wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:05 am Question about is it polished and integrated I don't understand as it's kind of native way to install things to Ubuntu.
We where talking about the build process, not the integration with the distro.
If Launchpad is too hard to use I suggest we could try to OBS (openSUSE Build Service).
IMO this should be up to the maintainer's preference.
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

It took a while to get around Launchpad and remember what I have forget but I got first build on going got 22.10 (which not release yet) with correct versioning. I made small test are in my personal project:
https://code.launchpad.net/~pasanen-tuu ... test-daily
I'll try to write more detailed stuff that next one who is coming after me is not as bad position as we are.

@adrianinsaval I noticed there is already Snap build available in options and it's making daily Snap. I take look at that after I get DEB building working.

Which Ubuntu version should be supported @yorik, @wandererfan and @kunda1
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think the latest one should be supported but that IMHO
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

previously there was support for the current non LTS and for all LTS that where not EOL IIRC, but IMO it is up to the maintainer how much work he's willing to put to support older releases.
Thanks for working on this, where can we see what the build process is?
About the snap, We already a snap daily build working, I believe independently of the ubuntu packages, and this might be preferable since sometimes they are broken.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

illuusio wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:25 pm Which Ubuntu version should be supported
I run Mint 19 & 20, so from a selfish perspective, I'd like to see support for Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04.
illuusio

Post by illuusio »

I upgraded correct package and have to learn how-to run FreeCAD test package on every build. I think then we do 18.04,20.04,22.04 and 22.10 to ensure nothing breaks. So Ubuntu LTS and latest?

I have to see how to get OCCT and Netgen also updated. As I get this on shape (I test this some time that I really understand all these recipes) in some point it would be integrated into ~freecad-maintainers?