Sketcher keyboard shortcuts broken in lastest Link Daily Branch? [solved]

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Krypto

Sketcher keyboard shortcuts broken in lastest Link Daily Branch? [solved]

Post by Krypto »

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.430.26244 +4758 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: b024b876480a533018fdc702145e9e38f8c54ba6
Python version: 3.9.12
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Started drawing with the polyline tool in the sketcher, but the "m" key does nothing when you want to switch modes. In 0.19.3 it works as it always does. Tried rm ~/.Freecad with no benefit.

Anyone else seeing this?
Last edited by Krypto on Sat May 28, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krypto

Re: Polyline Multimode broken in lastest Link Daily Branch?

Post by Krypto »

It seems that many of the keyboard shortcuts are broken for me in this Link Daily branch, so it's not only polyline multimode.

Switching to Link Stable seems to have fixed my issues with the keyboard shortcuts:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.430.28641 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: a77045488092c24ece25d63c91f362cbd2181d36
Python version: 3.9.12
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
ngocminhdao88

Post by ngocminhdao88 »

Nah, Sketcher just changes all its command shortcuts. You can hover your mouse over a command to see new hotkey.
Krypto

Post by Krypto »

Yes, this is the answer.

If I switch from Link Stable to Link Daily, almost all the sketcher keyboard shortcuts are changed or unusable. If I go back to using Link Stable, all the keyboard shortcuts are back to what they should be. Both variants are using the same ~/.Freecad directory.

Seems like a bug to me. I'll update the subject.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Sketcher keyboard shortcuts broken in lastest Link Daily Branch?

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't think it's a bug, the Sketcher shortcuts were changed in master branch during 0.20 dev cycle
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketcher keyboard shortcuts broken in lastest Link Daily Branch?

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:42 am I don't think it's a bug, the Sketcher shortcuts were changed in master branch during 0.20 dev cycle
And there was an extensive discussion about them (in master). Now they should be more logical, and possibly more comfortable because one key shortcuts are used for more frequent actions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Krypto

Re: Sketcher keyboard shortcuts broken in lastest Link Daily Branch? [solved]

Post by Krypto »

Thanks for the responses! I had to take a time-out and then craft a less caustic reply! :D

Yes, apparently Link Stable is still synced to 0.19 while Link Daily must be synced to 0.20 (confirmed when running from the command line) which explains the keyboard shortcut differences in sketcher and other differences throughout the program. I wasn't aware that the keyboard shortcuts will change between Freecad versions even when using the same ~/.Freecad settings directory.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... &start=100
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sandbox:Key ... _Workbench

Above are links which explain the keyboard situation.

Maybe a good idea to mention this in the Release Notes? It's a big deal if you use keyboard shortcuts.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_0.20

I'm not seeing anything about shortcuts...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Good point, if you have wiki editing permissions you may add them yourself, if you don't you can write here the suggested text and I'll put it in.
Krypto

Post by Krypto »

I can't edit the wiki, but if you wish in section "Further user interface improvements" with perhaps the wording "Default keyboard shortcuts have changed!" with a link to the forum discussion listed above and also a link to the keyboard shortcut section of the wiki. It wouldn't hurt to mention that keyboard shortcuts can be altered at Tools/Customize. I think this will be a FAQ when .020 is mainlined because it certainly caught me off guard.

I already had to customize the Polyline tool shortcut from "G, M" to "G, G" which seems to work much better.
Mpa

Post by Mpa »

ngocminhdao88 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:38 pm Nah, Sketcher just changes all its command shortcuts. You can hover your mouse over a command to see new hotkey.
You can change the key very easy by using customize in keyboard tab. https://youtu.be/L_QQrg3A6q4

After that it should work like a charm. Also for those that are confused with all Shortcuts I have a suggestion to make in the following link.
https://youtu.be/XtCh0NxIBy8