An exploration into the Icon theme

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: An exploration into the Icon theme

Post by MisterMaker »

Finished the "create icons" for sketcher workbench. Total of 61 icons.
Most changes are in the Fillet, trim and extend feature. The rest isn't that radical, most of it is just a smaller point.
I don't like how they look with a white background, and I did some experimenting with darker colors but that didn't work I was still a bit ugly (original look similar). Then I removed the outline that is used to make it work with different color background and that pretty much made it look way better. So I am pretty sure I will note use an outline on the 2D icons. Going to check if I can remove the outer outline on the 3D icons too.
nornmal sketch.png
nornmal sketch.png (696.33 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
construction sketch.png
construction sketch.png (722.7 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
white sketcher icons.png
white sketcher icons.png (989.7 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Removing all black edges.
light no border.png
light no border.png (203.95 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
dark no border.png
dark no border.png (195.98 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

That is a frightening amount of work! Kudos for you and all of us!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Well spend the whole day on it! :shock: I also said I'd check the cam workbench wiki.....woopsie.
But anyway.
5 THEMES NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE LOW PRICE OF NOTHING.
https://mistermaker.gumroad.com/l/Linkstage_Icons
But IF you want more colors maybe pay something because I want to buy a Blender addon for this because now I have to go true 6 materials one by one and change every color by hand and then save it somewhere which is annoying as !@#%$
Like this:
blender_6m0B5tY2p5.png
blender_6m0B5tY2p5.png (324.37 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
These are currently the colors I use:
colors.png
colors.png (300.13 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Dark gray is construction line in sketcher dark green is the point for the construction line.
Light gray is normal sketcher line, light green is modified color and sketcher point.
Blue is not modified parts, brown below is reference geometry.
There are more colors but I don't really want to change them like red for heart-line and the color of the pencil.
So if you got color idea's.

This is the new Coffee theme one of the 5!
FreeCADLink_LFidAhoksN.png
FreeCADLink_LFidAhoksN.png (72.79 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
FreeCADLink_d9miqYCJRg.png
FreeCADLink_d9miqYCJRg.png (102.04 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
dtay

Post by dtay »

Your efforts are appreciated! Sent a little love in the hopes that you get your addon.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

dtay wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:43 pm Your efforts are appreciated! Sent a little love in the hopes that you get your addon.
Thank you!
If you want a certain color theme please let me know.
The plugin can work with this website, although I need at least 6 colors and the websites only has pallets of 4. The addon does support pallets of more than 4.
Solarman

Post by Solarman »

Hello MisterMaker,
great icon set, especially under OSX (Big Sur) native dark theme (no style sheet in FreeCAD asm3).
FreeCAD now as well optically is indistinguishable from prof. CAD packages (LOL).

One problem I have with trying to select the icon set in FreeCAD -> Preferences -> IconSet is that nothing shows up there. I tried different locations for the .zip's like:

(1)../Users/userName/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Gui/Icons
(2)../Users/userName/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Gui/IconSets (Windows default)

Only the Icon Theme plugin can "see" those (unzipped) Icon folders under (1), but can't activate them if the icons are in *.png format. Earlier versions in *.svg worked
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Solarman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:07 pm Hello MisterMaker,
great icon set, especially under OSX (Big Sur) native dark theme (no style sheet in FreeCAD asm3).
FreeCAD now as well optically is indistinguishable from prof. CAD packages (LOL).

One problem I have with trying to select the icon set in FreeCAD -> Preferences -> IconSet is that nothing shows up there. I tried different locations for the .zip's like:

Only the Icon Theme plugin can "see" those (unzipped) Icon folders under (1), but can't activate them if the icons are in *.png format. Earlier versions in *.svg worked
Ùnder windows it should be in: X:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Gui\IconSets
I don't really know how what that is in OSX, but I doubt the last directory would have a different name.
The workbench icons are also png so, if those work I don't see why mine would not work under osx.
I wanted to ask @Realthunder if he could add an "open directory" next to the Icon theme settings, because having to search a hidden folder in your directories kinda sucks.
Edit: Made a issue on github, also with request for multi icon theme selection so it is possible to have a theme for sketcher and another one for PartDesign, Now it is all or nothing, or you have to make the txt file yourself by copy pasting it together.
Solarman

Post by Solarman »

MisterMaker wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:27 pm
Solarman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:07 pm Hello MisterMaker,

Ùnder windows it should be in: X:\Users\userName\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Gui\IconSets
I don't really know how what that is in OSX, but I doubt the last directory would have a different name.
The workbench icons are also png so, if those work I don't see why mine would not work under osx.
I wanted to ask @Realthunder if he could add an "open directory" next to the Icon theme settings, because having to search a hidden folder in your directories kinda sucks.
Edit: Made a issue on github, also with request for multi icon theme selection so it is possible to have a theme for sketcher and another one for PartDesign, Now it is all or nothing, or you have to make the txt file yourself by copy pasting it together.
gracias ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Solarman please try to use the reply button in a more economical way. In other words there is no need to repeat everything the person that you're responding to has said. You can edit out the parts to make it more succinct and therefore easier for the rest of us to read. Thanks!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

haha I think I spam this topic with more than enough data that we don't need it to be repeated :lol: