An exploration into the Icon theme

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: An exploration into the Icon theme

Post by MisterMaker »

bambuko wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:59 pm
MisterMaker wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:15 am These are now icons...
how does it manifest itself in the tree? (or have you not done it yet?)

"...possible to use non-square icons in the tree and in the workbench bar..."

Do you like my choice of colour? :lol: :mrgreen: ;)
I actually want the tip icon too be 3 letters long!
Green is the color of calm so, green is good. Red is color of a lot.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Spend some time to re-render the first icons so the line thickness is a bit better, now the green wash look you had is mostly gone and it looks good on white background as on black. Only see that the datum line and point are maybe a bit too dark.
FreeCADLink_KeBLnWd1Mz.png
FreeCADLink_KeBLnWd1Mz.png (376.69 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
FreeCADLink_C9muXb3hZy.png
FreeCADLink_C9muXb3hZy.png (376.64 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Download here: https://mistermaker.gumroad.com/l/Linkstage_Icons
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I listen to comments here, it was too green so here you go.
FR_LfLzXsAAU2nU.jpg
FR_LfLzXsAAU2nU.jpg (194.5 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
:mrgreen:
I figured out on how to batch render, and I am using png files instead of svg since it looks better and the performance is better with png because of the shades. Basically svg is nice and scalable but it is also ugly.
If you like coffee....
FreeCADLink_vyDoJ5k3hu.png
FreeCADLink_vyDoJ5k3hu.png (105.38 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Red as subtract:
FreeCADLink_HSBZAC8dbW.png
FreeCADLink_HSBZAC8dbW.png (106.51 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am I listen to comments here, it was too green so here you go.
but now it's too purple :lol: I think using a single color for everything doesn't look too good unless you go full monochromatic and use symbolic icons, even in that kind of icon theme you usually add some color to some specific stuff.
and I am using png files instead of svg since it looks better and the performance is better with png because of the shades. Basically svg is nice and scalable but it is also ugly.
Really? that's a surprise, do you have an example of this at hand? As you say svg are scalable so perhaps for final version it's better to use that considering the wide variety of screen resolutions and icon sizes at which this might get used.
Red as subtract:
Hmmh, perhaps a darker shade of red would work better, you could also try something more orange if you don't like red, or some shade of purple too to match the cold colors a little better.
On the other hand those very dark shades of green on some of the icons look kinda out of place IMO.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

The dark green is too dark atm but now I have it setup that I can batch render I can experiment a bit. It is dark green because I made it glass since it a datum line or point or plane and most of the time these are see true to show it isn't a solid but a reference object. But making something opaque doesn't really work when there is nothing behind it.

The issue with svg is that you need to work with gradients to fake a 3D affect. and this is a pain in the ass to do nicely especially for the hundreds of 3D Icons in Freecad. I currently also get a svg output but this is just the outline you can easily color it in inkscape. it looks like this:
msedge_8aZZRA9q3C.png
msedge_8aZZRA9q3C.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
You can color it in pretty easily, it then looks like this:
msedge_cehJIwKut0.png
msedge_cehJIwKut0.png (15.7 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
While a rendered version looks like this:
PartDesign_CoordinateSystem.png
PartDesign_CoordinateSystem.png (46.77 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
And I really find the bright colors awe-full. And you can make it nicer with gradients and probably get pretty close to the render, but just using a png is a lot easier. And I don't see any difference at all on any Icon size, I render my icons at 256px it gets scalled down to 46px and I see no quality loss. And yes the PNG files are 4 times as big as the svg files but its 20kb vs 80kb nobody cares anymore and you can always use the default icons if your system sucks that much(or stop running Freecad on your calculator) :lol: .

btw the workbench icons where always already png files, so you already have png icons.
bleber

Post by bleber »

MisterMaker wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am Red as subtract:
Rainbow 🌈 icons or traffic 🚦 temme.

Red substract, green addition and yellow or orange to other operations.
Last edited by bleber on Thu May 05, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Just want to say, I'm loving this thread :D
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I got couple of people liking the coffee, so I was thinking about making a mint, coffee, lollypop like food stuff :)
I also did some experimenting with very bright colors on the reference geometry and I kinda like it:
thunderbird_XW2Ea3Xs7z.png
thunderbird_XW2Ea3Xs7z.png (61.32 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
All these screenshots are actual icons packs and can be used, i am not screwing around with some hue setting in paint.
Meetlat

Post by Meetlat »

I like the collors of last one. Can you try how it looks with an outline? Like the icons from the link I shared before.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Meetlat wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:34 pm I like the collors of last one. Can you try how it looks with an outline? Like the icons from the link I shared before.
There is not enough space for any more outline than a small edge. It could maybe work for simple icons like the example but anything complicated I need every pixel I have to show the feature itself.
Or everyone needs to make his icons bigger to make space for the outline, but I think Most users rather have compact toolbars and have more screen space.