name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RainmanNoodles

Re: name FreeCAD 0.91 instead of 0.20, means version after 0.19 could be 0.91

Post by RainmanNoodles »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 am
RainmanNoodles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 am It's just bad, and anyone who says otherwise is simply making excuses because they don't want to admit it.
It is what it is until it's fixed. You want to see a fix or help, follow realthunder's progress https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/tree/TopoNaming
but please spare us the kvetching.
There's a 27-page discussion talking about artificially bumping the version number to make the program appear more complete than it is... I think I'm entitled to some cynicism. :lol:
RainmanNoodles

Post by RainmanNoodles »

drmacro wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:04 am As I said some deal with it better than others.

A lot of the others can't figure out how to position sketches without slapping them all over generated geometry with reckless abandon. If you think, even without tnp, that constitutes "best practice", that is your perogative. 8-)

Is tnp a problem, yes it is. Will I be happy when it's fixed, yes. But, it won't be a panacea. It will, vastly improve TechDraw, Path, Sheetmetal, and any tool the depends on generated geometry. It will only partially improve fillets/chamfers.

And BTW, FreeCAD is not the only cad program with the issue...think fusion360 doesn't have it? Well don't go over 40 mph. 8-)
Fusion 360 is a pile of hot garbage, not what I'd consider to be a competent CAD tool. But it does deal with it significantly better than FreeCAD.

The major difference is that with FreeCAD, if you blow up your model, you're pretty much toast. Other programs are far less likely to fail catastrophically, and when they do, fixing it is significantly easier.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

RainmanNoodles wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:07 am Fusion 360 is a pile of hot garbage, not what I'd consider to be a competent CAD tool. But it does deal with it significantly better than FreeCAD.

The major difference is that with FreeCAD, if you blow up your model, you're pretty much toast. Other programs are far less likely to fail catastrophically, and when they do, fixing it is significantly easier.
Anything new you can tell us?

What happens if you ak in Fusion 360 there for something to be changed with the absolute highest priority?

P.S. And of course you are right, that TPN is THE major problem of FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.