Addons... button to macros dialog?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Addons... button to macros dialog?

Post by NormandC »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:05 am I thought it would be convenient to have a button linking to the addons manager from within the macros dialog.
I can't thank you enough for creating videos now, even though they are more of a hassle than creating animated GIFs. I hope we find a way to make it easier to upload them somewhere.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

NormandC wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 pm
TheMarkster wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:05 am I thought it would be convenient to have a button linking to the addons manager from within the macros dialog.
I can't thank you enough for creating videos now, even though they are more of a hassle than creating animated GIFs. I hope we find a way to make it easier to upload them somewhere.
In some ways it's easier at times. Often I would have to optimize a GIF with GIMP2 to get it under the 1MB size restriction. Another advantage is no more size restriction except for whatever I choose to self-impose, so I don't have to hurry to keep the size under some set limit. I was also able to increase the fps by 50%, so the videos look a little better.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi TheMarkster

i ave on little problem (red)

is it possible to do the test on numbers begin to @ up to 3 characters after @
example:
DuplicatrFile00.png
DuplicatrFile00.png (47.5 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

to get in this case xxxxxx@012.FCMacro

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

mario52 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:16 pm hi TheMarkster

example:
DuplicatrFile00.png

mario
Sorry I do not remember seeing this request before or maybe I misunderstood. Anyway, better late than never.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5035
Snip macro screenshot-26a3ea.png
Snip macro screenshot-26a3ea.png (102.25 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Snip macro screenshot-994789.png
Snip macro screenshot-994789.png (99.68 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Snip macro screenshot-cc24ed.png
Snip macro screenshot-cc24ed.png (92.75 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Default value for the new parameter is true, so current behavior remains for most users. Change the setting for the other behavior.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I think this is a good change - in fact, I question whether it's really necessary to have a preference to retain the old behavior. Or at least, having that be a visible preference taking up space in the Preferences dialog. What do you think about just making this the standard behavior? Is this really something that people are attached to the old behavior of? In the original code it reads like a "no time to implement this properly so just start at 001 for now..." sort of thing.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

chennes wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:17 am I think this is a good change - in fact, I question whether it's really necessary to have a preference to retain the old behavior. Or at least, having that be a visible preference taking up space in the Preferences dialog. What do you think about just making this the standard behavior? Is this really something that people are attached to the old behavior of? In the original code it reads like a "no time to implement this properly so just start at 001 for now..." sort of thing.
We can do it that way and just have the current way available as a parameter in case there are users who prefer the current way.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

mario52 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:16 pm hi TheMarkster

example:
DuplicatrFile00.png

mario
I sent you a PM, but it shows up in my outbox and not in the sent box. Did you get it?

Latest proposal:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5040
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

TheMarkster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:18 pm Latest proposal:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5040
Interesting proposals there. In general I like hidden preferences to give power users added customization capabilities, so this seems like a good approach to me. You all make far more macros than I do: I see your note that the space replacement suggestion only applies to duplicates, and not to new macros. Is there a technical reason to limit it to duplicates?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

chennes wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:27 pm
Interesting proposals there. In general I like hidden preferences to give power users added customization capabilities, so this seems like a good approach to me. You all make far more macros than I do: I see your note that the space replacement suggestion only applies to duplicates, and not to new macros. Is there a technical reason to limit it to duplicates?
As usual, you bring up a good point. On further reflection I think we should extend this to other cases inside the dialog, in particular: renaming and creating new files. Parameter should be renamed to ReplaceSpaces instead of DuplicateReplaceSpaces and make true the default. Macros with spaces work just fine (AFAIK), but the wiki doesn't like spaces in the macro names and converts to underscores when creating the pages. The toolbar icon should have the same name, but with .svg instead of .FCMacro.

The name produced is only a suggestion, so the user always has the option to edit it before submitting.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I have made these changes.

Rename DuplicateReplaceSpaces to ReplaceSpaces.
Default = true
Applied to new file creation, renaming of files, and duplicating files.

I believe those are the only instances where the user enters a new file name that might contain spaces.