Exporting a simple shape doesn't work

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OldBikerPete

Exporting a simple shape doesn't work

Post by OldBikerPete »

FreeCAD will allow me to draw a simple cylindrical object but doesn't create a usable .stl or .dae file for CURA. I've been successfully drawing and printing MUCH more complicated objects with no problems.

I don't understand what the problem is.
Peter
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Exporting a simple shape doesn't work

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You have a cyclic dependency in your model: Cylinder is mapped to the Body and Body depends on the cylinder. You should attach the cylinder to XY plane instead.
Cyclic dependencies are shown in red in the report view and with red arrows in the dependency graph.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
OldBikerPete

Post by OldBikerPete »

Thank you chrisb.
That FreeCAD file I included had been hacked around as I tried to get something that worked and did have that circular definition.
However my normal way of working is to use the body for EVERY reference and when I modified that file back to how I originally wrote it - with everything referencing the Body, the circular definition complaint had disappeared and both .stl and .dae files were created.
However that just took me back to the original problem. When CURA read the .stl file, the holes were missing - as I have had with other solids I have drawn, which is why I have used .dae files in the past. When it tried to read the .dae file, it simply produced nothing, no display, no complaint. A repeat attempt just caused it to crash.

Peter.

PS. I should point out that I'm using Windows 7, 64bit.. Windows 10 is just not an option.
Last edited by OldBikerPete on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Code: Select all

└ Body (Body)
    ├ Cylinder000 (Cylinder)
    ├ Cylinder001 (Cylinder)
    ├ Cylinder002 (Cylinder)
    ├ Cylinder003 (Cylinder)
    ├ Fillet000 (Fillet)
    ├ Fillet001 (Fillet)
    ├ Fillet002 (Fillet)
    ├ Fillet003 (Fillet)
    └ Fillet004 (Fillet)
You are using a lot PartDesign Primitives (PartDesign_CompPrimitiveAdditive). Perhaps would you prefer PART wb (Part_Module).

IMHO using PartDesign_Revolution is better :

Code: Select all

└ Body (Body)
    └ Revolution (Revolution)
       └ Sketch (Sketch)
Attachments
Capture du 2021-09-19 12-34-58.png
Capture du 2021-09-19 12-34-58.png (44.52 KiB) Viewed 769 times
FilamentSpoolAdapter_SHALM.FCStd
(44.29 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
OldBikerPete

Post by OldBikerPete »

Thank you for that, I'll give that a try. FreeCAD has SO MANY options, it's a long learning curve.

I'm moving this to the 'Helping with FreeCAD discussion as it evolves into a hand-holding exercise.