0.20 and Feedback

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tre4b

0.20 and Feedback

Post by tre4b »

Hi All,

I had been using 0.19 then when it was released I thought to continue to risk beta as nothing I do matters much so I would go to 0.20. Been running it for a while just fine, however updated again and saw something that should be reported. When I look in the github the issues are all ancient, which lead me to wonder where I should be making this feedback. I assumed there would be a lively community for the 0.2 version and lots of feedback etc. I came here but there is no specific location for this discussion here either.

Where should I go?
drmacro
Veteran

Re: 0.20 and Feedback

Post by drmacro »

What's the issue, I use 0.20 routinely with no particular issues and build from source every day to maintain parity with any updates.

And, the tracking system is where tickets are filed...but, I think that is in the throws of moving.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

tre4b wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:57 pm which lead me to wonder where I should be making this feedback.
The very first place to report issues is in the Help Forum. In most cases the issue can be confirmed if it is real or explained if it is not real.

A report in the tracker will have much more impact if the issue has first been discussed in the forum.

Gene
tre4b

Post by tre4b »

This one is really obvious, hence why I was surprised I could not find discussion of it anywhere. @GeneFC are you saying to just use the normal forums for this.

What I am seeing is that when I hit control Z to undo a change in a line in Sketcher it instead undo's the last changes I made to the structure tree. Makes a right mess, especially when the last thing I did was delete something. I'm not convinced it only goes back one step either. It does not do any undoing in the sketcher though. Suffice to say it is making me much better about learning how to not need to use undo ;-)
doia

Post by doia »

Thanks for your feedback. Can you please add some information to help track down and debug your error:

- Change the topic of your first post in this thread to a meaningful title, this helps in finding this specific bug in the forums
- add you version information (see the RED BANNER above)
- describe the steps you took to reproduce the error
- maybe add a simple example file, in which the error occurs
tre4b

Post by tre4b »

@doia

Happy to but will repost in a new post. Which is the most appropriate section for this post? That was what I was originally wanting to find out.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

tre4b wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:05 am Which is the most appropriate section for this post?
The Help forum, see also GeneFC's post.
doia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 am - add you version information (see the RED BANNER above)
The link here is of course worth reading as well, but the one really important adn asking for the FreeCAD infos mentioned is at the top of the Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tre4b

Post by tre4b »

Thanks all,

Luck would have it when I loaded this morning and tried to replicate it no longer happened. Which is weird as yesterday I did reboots a number of times to try and clear the problem. Running on windows though so who knows ;-)

One of the things I did do before giving up was to pretty much strip the design back to its base. I wonder if I removed something that was causing an issue in doing that.

Just for completeness this is the version of my install. In future I will post .20 issues just straight into the help.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25645 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 37d9757399b4c2ec30318eb88d7cd7c508246345
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

tre4b wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 am This one is really obvious, hence why I was surprised I could not find discussion of it anywhere. @GeneFC are you saying to just use the normal forums for this?
See item 3.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5236

Gene
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

tre4b wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am One of the things I did do before giving up was to pretty much strip the design back to its base. I wonder if I removed something that was causing an issue in doing that.
Any sort of error anywhere in the model can cause strange results. Remember, this is software, so action at a distance is automatic, not a cosmic mystery. :shock:

Deletes and undos have been the cause of many problems reported here. There are lots of pointers and stacks, and sometimes things get corrupted. No need to reinstall, but it is always a good idea to recompute, and often to save, close, and reopen files.

Gene