week one of learning parametric CAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

Re: week one of learning parametric CAD

Post by Syres »

batt wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:53 am If I want to learn freecad have to accept their terminology.
batt
You don't have to use Parts, Bodies etc, if there's one thing I tell people new to 3D CAD, there's usually at least two ways (many more in practice) to achieve the end goal. I mainly use three workbenches for modelling, Sketcher, Part and Draft, notice Part Design doesn't feature at all, it's all personal preference, there's no correct way.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Syres wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:13 am it's all personal preference, there's no correct way.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Syres wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:13 am there's no correct way.
To the contrary, there are multiple correct ways. :mrgreen:

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 pm To the contrary, there are multiple correct ways. :mrgreen:
Of course!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
batt

Post by batt »

Good Day
Have pushed on with trying to put together a list of freecad,s usage of terminology which is very different to what I have been use to.
Have had a go and doing a few things but very time consuming in the methods that are described in the tutorials.
have had to put learning Freecad on hold till the Christmas holidays.
Has any one compiled a list of terminology used in the different workbenches.
Is their any standard terminology usage from one workbench to another or does each workbench creator set the terminology they use.
I think I asked the question but I not sure ... how do you attach an attachment ?
If I want to insert a image it comes up with this ... what do you with it ... it seems it wants you to insert some thing between ??? Image
Have no idea what to do .
Batt
batt

Post by batt »

Good Day
I just did a search on attachments but found a tutorial of BASIC ATTACHMENT TUTORIAL ... the example constructed would take me about 3 mins do do in the cad sys I use ... one would go broke if following the tutorial system.
Batt
batt

Post by batt »

Wanted to put an image on post so went phpBB documentation and support page ... no answer ... gave up spent an hour now trying to find how to post an image ???
Is it assumed that every one knows how to do these things.
Batt
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

batt wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:22 am Wanted to put an image on post so went phpBB documentation and support page ... no answer ... gave up spent an hour now trying to find how to post an image ???
This link is prominently placed on each Help forum post and definitely worth reading: http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

batt wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:53 am the example constructed would take me about 3 mins do do in the cad sys I use
an attachment takes 15 seconds in FreeCAD ... but :

batt wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:42 am If I want to insert a image it comes up with this ... what do you with it ... it seems it wants you to insert some thing between ??? Image Have no idea what to do .
batt wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:22 am Wanted to put an image on post so went phpBB documentation and support page ... no answer ... gave up spent an hour now trying to find how to post an image ???
if attaching an image to a phpBB forum is a challenge for you, I suggest you don't even try FreeCAD any further. (hint: did you try the "Attachments" tab below messages ?)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
batt

Post by batt »

Chrisb ...Thank you for helping me ... have placed an image in the attachments to test.
Your answers have been helpfull each time.

Zolko ... I found your answer quite insulting regarding me having a go at learning freecad ... have used and make a living out of using a commercial cad sys for 20 years plus ... had to teach my self with a very poor help files ... so I do not know how to use this blog or forum software ... with help I will succeed.
Attachments
test
test
3761-600-201 rocker assy.jpg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 1464 times